38 Comments

• says:

October 3, 2013 at 10:14 am

Angie! You know what? When you commented, I thought, hmm, are they?! I assumed so, because they definitely taste that way, but they also use so much Greek yogurt. So then I calculated — and they’re about 130 calories per cupcake! Not greaaat, but for a cupcake, not too bad. :) There’s really only a bit of Nutella on each, a tad less sugar than some other recipes, and there’s also a little more protein from the Greek yogurt. Yay! (But also, now you’ve got me wondering what it would be like if I just omitted the fat altogether and just used the yogurt! Next time…)

1. meg says:

October 3, 2013 at 10:31 am

I love seeing your butter/oil experiment, I sometimes go for butter and had my assumptions about how it affected crumb, but I’ve never done a side by side or combo comparison. I’m not sure if I can make these, because if I keep nutella in the house I eat it by the spoonful…I would love to make these for friends, though.

• says:

October 3, 2013 at 1:47 pm

It was SO FUN! I would normally have never had enough time or people to feed to be able to try it, either, so I was so excited to be able to do it. I do wish that I’d controlled all the other factors better (oh yeah, 9th grade science!) but it seemed more or less consistent with what others found. Also, totally agree with you on the Nutella. These Nutella treats are a rare romp for me… that’s what vacation’s for, right? :)

• says:

October 3, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Me TOO! I’m always trying to sneak yogurt into recipes… for eggs…oil… especially sour cream, since I never have it. It’s not failed me yet :) And yay, so glad you liked the comparison! I was so thrilled to be able to do it. When I’m home with just my boyfriend I can never justify making so much.

October 3, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Really like your comparisons. Most recently I’ve been baking quick breads with yoghurt and evo oil with good results. The ratio I used was 4 tbsp yoghurt and 3 oil. Nice texture, even though some might think it’s too cake-like for a bread. But, with banana bread I do like using a little butter for its flavour with a combination of molasses (dark) granulated sugar. Really works with the bananas :)

• says:

October 3, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Thank you! Ahhh, I so completely agree with you here! I use a 2:3 ratio of Greek yogurt to oil for my other cupcakes and love the texture and moistness — and don’t miss the butter in the slightest — but for these banana cupcakes I definitely felt like the butter added something special to the flavor. And awesome suggestion with the brown sugar — I was just thinking that would have been incredible too (but sadly didn’t have any on hand).

October 3, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I love baking science and comparisons like these! I used to be butter-only in everything. But a couple years ago I’ve switched to using oil in quickbreads and muffins and cakes, for the most part. The exception to that is traditional banana bread where I feel that melted butter is best. And in quickbreads, if I am using butter, I always melt it. No time to deal with creaming, dirtying the mixer, etc. So it takes on an oil-ish nature but with flavor of butter. But…I do think oil keeps things softer. Most of the time I will sacrifice flavor (of from the butter) to preserve a super soft texture. And those banana bread bars, Ive had those bookmarked for like…18 mos. Need to try them. Your muffins look wonderful!

• says:

October 3, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Ooh, thanks so much for all of this! This is so great to know. I definitely agree oil keeps things softer, which I’m a huge fan of — and I’m with you on the opinion that it really doesn’t change the flavor for most baked goods other than those with banana. Worth it for the texture, for sure. And YES, how about those monkey squares? At some point, when there’s a big potluck or someone’s birthday rolls around, I’ll have to go all out and make those, frosting and all, even if eating one puts me out of commission for the rest of the day ;) Can’t wait to see your take on it if you try them. Thank you for the wonderful comment, Averie!

4. Anonymous says:

October 5, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Oh, yummmm. If it weren’t for my food intolerances, I would try out this recipe in a heartbeat. (mind you, if I made enough substitutions I could get it to work…but the substitutions would involve gluten-free flours, lard (instead of butter/vegetable oil), and coconut yogurt. These would cause further changes in texture…

• says:

October 8, 2013 at 11:48 am

Ahhhh, that’s so tough! Have you ever been to Minimalist Baker (http://minimalistbaker.com/)? They have some fantastic recipes with gluten-free flours and generally very wholesome ingredients that are easy to substitute. So sorry that mine won’t work as written — though, if you do happen to try it with the substitutions, definitely let me know! I’d love it if this worked for different diet types.

October 14, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Oooh I love the side by side comparison you’ve done here!! Well done with the photos and exacting tests! I’ve been baking mostly with oil these days to keep things vegan (and it’s usually easier than melting/creaming butter), but you’re making me rethink this strategy…

ALSO those nutella swirls are gorgeous! You are one talented cookie :)

• says:

October 14, 2013 at 9:35 pm

You are too sweet, Erika! I’m not over here making Momofuku cakes or anything, so I don’t think I’m the talented one here ;) You know, I do also like using oil most of the time (let’s not talk about how many times I’ve exploded butter in the microwave or how annoying it is to bring it to room temp!) It’s probably only baking with banana where I feel butter makes a big difference — but I bet you wouldn’t even miss it if you didn’t taste them side by side.

October 19, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I’m so glad you commented on Neighborfood, as it gave me a chance to discover your space here! Lovely photos, great commentary. This makes me want to test out the butter vs. oil in more recipes. I’m surprised what a difference it made!

• says:

October 20, 2013 at 10:42 am

Thank you so much, Courtney!! You know, I feel bad because I think visually the difference was a little more significant due to the creaming, like I mentioned above, but the taste really did differ as much as the pictures suggest, so I guess it’s not so misleading after all. :) So happy you stopped by — there’ll be a post in the near future featuring your awesome pie crust! :)

7. English Mummy says:

December 4, 2013 at 9:49 am

I have just made these with my two and a half year old son – he loves helping me in the kitchen and also loves bananas and Nutella. I have to say they are delicious, and the fact that they are only 3 Ww points is a great bonus. Thanks so much for the post, I can’t wait to explore your blog and bake more…

December 5, 2013 at 11:49 pm

You have truly warmed my heart with this comment. I am so touched by the thought of you and your little one making these together! (Can you teach my future unborn children to love helping in the kitchen too?!) Comments like yours are really what makes blogging rewarding for me, so thank you so very much for coming back to let me know you made these. It really made my day :) I’m so glad you enjoyed the muffins — and yes, isn’t it such a wonderful surprise that they’re kind of healthy?! :) Thank you for this comment!

January 22, 2014 at 5:34 am

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I made some the other day for my 10 month old son, with a few modifications and he loved them. I’m hoping to use this as a base for his first birthday cake. :)

January 22, 2014 at 10:51 am

Oh, Mina, what a lovely comment! It means the world to me to be able to contribute to something so special. I’d love to hear what modifications you made, too, if you want to share! Recipes are always made to be improved upon / experimented with. Thank you so much for your sweet comment :) and happy early birthday to your little one!