nutella espresso (chocolate chip) pancakes

nutella espresso pancakes vertical stack 5
This picture is one of six reasons why, at the moment, my mother is not very happy with me.

I have a problem. It’s now been a week and a day of my visit home to my parents. In that time, I’ve baked three dozen mini matcha shortbread cookies, a dozen almond rosemary shortbread cookies, some topsy-turvy cinnamon rolls (next time I’ll roll you properly, little ones), pumpkin cupcakes, and green tea cupcakes. It’s a little excessive. It’s gotten to the point where, every time I come into the kitchen, my mother cries, “Not again!” and leaves the room muttering about her waistline.

For most of these things, I have a valid defense. We’re giving them to friends! The green tea cupcakes were (almost) vegan! There’s Greek yogurt in these! I made half-batches of everything!

But … I also made these pancakes. And they have no defense whatsoever. They have Nutella, espresso, and chocolate chips, and Nutella on top, and more chocolate chips on top, and also some powdered sugar because, because. There is nothing healthy about them. I’m sorry, Mom. But maybe one of you can save them for after your next casual marathon, or something.

nutella espresso pancakes overhead

I did use a slightly different base for the pancakes than the one in my first basic pancake recipe, though I can’t tell you which is better because the chocolate and coffee flavors made them hard to compare — texture-wise, however, both are quite fluffy and tasty. While the other one was based on Jamie Cooks It Up!, the proportions here were based on Joy the Baker’s Milk Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Pancakes, and I first saw this chocolate and espresso flavor combination done by Ozmundaregalis.

Note that these pancakes do have the tendency to be a bit bitter from the coffee. If you like your coffee black I suspect you won’t mind a bit; if you don’t, just a bit of Nutella on top will balance out the bitterness, or you can simply omit the espresso altogether and just have chocolatey chocolate pancakes.

nutella espresso pancakes bite

Nutella Espresso Pancakes
serves 2 (yields about 6 medium pancakes)

1 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tbsp espresso, or 1 tbsp instant espresso powder (coffee will work too)
1 large egg
1 cup milk (you can use buttermilk if you like, or 1/2 cup yogurt and 1/2 cup milk)
2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled, plus more for the pan
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1 tbsp Nutella, plus more for drizzle
1/4 cup chocolate chips for sprinkling on top

1. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. If using instant espresso powder, sift it into the dry ingredients as well.
2. In a separate large bowl, beat the egg. Add milk (or buttermilk, or yogurt+milk, whatever you’re using), melted butter, vanilla, and Nutella. If using liquid espresso or coffee, add that here as well, and mix until well-blended. Note: I used a 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt and a 1/2 cup of milk as a buttermilk substitute, but I felt that the other flavors in these pancakes were so strong that the buttermilk might not be necessary.
3. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just incorporated. A few lumps are good. Let batter set for a few minutes.
4. Heat a griddle or pan over medium heat. Coat griddle surface with oil or butter. When the griddle is hot enough that water droplets dance when dropped onto it, pour two to three tablespoons of batter onto the griddle. I used a 1/4 cup scoop, which works well and also keeps the counter fairly drip-free. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips evenly over the uncooked surface of the pancake. When bubbles form in the batter and leave a brief hole when they pop, flip the pancake and let brown on the other side for about 2-3 more minutes, then remove to a plate. I keep the pancakes that are done in the oven at 200 degrees, on an oven-safe plate. Repeat until batter is gone, then serve with your choice of topping. (I used more Nutella. Like there was ever a real choice.)

nutella espresso pancakes horizontal stack 3
Next on my list of pancakes to try are buckwheat (these banana buckwheat pancakes by The Pancake Princess look so great) and at some point I need to stop being lazy and try the method of separating the egg yolk and white. I’ve never felt the pancakes needed to be fluffier, so I never feel the compulsion, but I really should just do it and see!

Hope you enjoy these as much as I did (and that your semi-coma wears off faster). Thank you so much for reading! πŸ™‚

September 25, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Your baking binge sounds just amazing!! I love baking when I go home too – a nicer kitchen, and more people to eat everything! These pancakes look divine!! Perfect for a Sunday brunch splurge

• says:

September 25, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Haha you are so spot on with this comment!! That’s exactly why I love baking at home (my mom has TWO ovens — whaat — and an actual stand mixer!) and this was indeed our Sunday brunch πŸ™‚ Thanks so much for your comment, Cate!!

September 26, 2013 at 12:14 am

Ohmahlawd, what are you doing to me?!?! These photos are glorious. I’ve smacked my face against my screen twice already trying to chew into those gorgeous, nutella-covered pancakes. I’ll gladly come over and eat anything your mom doesn’t want πŸ˜‰

• says:

September 26, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Hahaha Nancy, you crack me up!! Yessss, COME nosh with me ASAP! πŸ™‚ (Especially if you bring that pumpkin bourbon pie, whaaatt). Thank you for the hilarious and kind comment πŸ™‚

September 26, 2013 at 10:26 am

OMG! So suddenly, your blog is no longer blocked from my server or whatever and now I can see your lovely blog!! SO MANY PANCAKES YUMMM. These sound absolutely heavenly. No words.

• says:

September 26, 2013 at 11:47 pm

YAY! I’m SO glad! I wonder why it was blocked? I was thinking about it and it might have been when I was transitioning to a new domain name… Who knows. Anyway, thank you so much for the sweet comment and so glad you came here! I don’t know if these pancakes can compare to yours, which look beyond perfect, but it means a lot coming from you! πŸ™‚

• says:

September 26, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Oh, I think some banana would be FABULOUS! These pancakes desperately need a healthy aspect, that’s for sure! I actually think banana might compliment the Nutella and chocolate chips better than espresso… Definitely going to try that next time, thanks for the genius idea. πŸ™‚ And thank you so much for your comment!

September 27, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Okay I’ve gotta return the favor and say that I am just as obsessed with all of your recipes and gorgeous food photography!! I will definitely be following you as well πŸ™‚

September 30, 2013 at 5:24 am

when at home i have my coffee black and since ive been doing that fancy store cflat whites are just too weak… so I was thinking of laying off for a while… then I came across this.

Can I ask which lens you have? You pictures are amaaaazing im so intrigued!

em

• says:

September 30, 2013 at 7:59 am

Haha! I feel like this post is such a bad influence in comparison to all the lovely healthy foods I see posted elsewhere πŸ˜‰ But yes, one of the things I really liked about these pancakes was that I could actually taste the coffee flavor!

Of course! (And that is SO flattering, I am such a beginner!!) I just started using a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens and I’m totally in love with it. The pros are that pictures turn out SO wonderfully sharp and crisp, the aperture gets nice and wide, and it’s also a relatively inexpensive lens (lol, relatively speaking) as well as nice and compact. The only con for me so far is that overhead shots are a little hard with this one because you have to be farther away to get everything in — I end up holding the camera way over my head and just hoping it’s pointed in the right direction, haha… or standing on the table. For that reason I can maybe see why a 35mm might be better, but those will run a bit more.

I just ended up saying way more than I intended, hope I wasn’t just telling you everything you already knew!!! I thought your photos were fantastic, myself.

December 29, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Aw, thank you! Yes, it’s definitely not for every day, but it’s a serious treat when you do decide to splurge!

August 25, 2014 at 10:45 am

ysl tassel Satchel

Ford’s technique worked and the image has since become synonymous with the house, and Opium – which was first launched in 1977 – remains one of YSL’s best-known scents.

7. Anonymous says:

October 29, 2014 at 8:49 am

These pancakes are delicious! Just made them this morning for my little brother and I, and we loved them!! Very yummy. Thank you for sharing this recipe : )