1. Erica says:

August 17, 2016 at 5:14 am

I’m so fascinated by this! I would have never thought of putting the two ideas together. And yay for B3 baby moves! I’m sure it’s only a sign that he will be a wicked awesome dancer when he’s out in the world 😉
    Enjoy your time resting, dear! <3

August 24, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Haha!! If B2’s childhood antics are anything to go by, I think we’ll definitely be chasing him around the house. Thanks for always making me smile, Erica!

August 17, 2016 at 7:12 am

Sounds like life over there is pretty decent! What a great weeknight meal. I like to make shad roe in the sliding and you have to actually cook the roe sacks and remove the eggs. Pretty visceral but so yummy. How you’re doing well and furniture shopping is going well and all that good stuff!

August 24, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Ha, “visceral” is totally the right word for it. Those sacks make me laugh every time. I’ve never had shad roe — will totally add it to my list!

August 17, 2016 at 8:59 am

Oh yum. I’ve not heard of mentaiko, but it’s good to hear that it’s similar to bottarga. I love seeing the dishes you pull together with unfamiliar-to-me ingredients- it’s such a wonderful reminder of all the good things out there. This looks excellent, and I’ll have to make the track to my local multi-cultural Asian market to make this.

August 17, 2016 at 9:09 am

i’ve tried (and loved) tobiko before (i tried to explain it as fishy popping boba to someone once, but that didn’t go over too well), but i’ve never had mentaiko! that will have to change asap. butter and soy sauce go so well together no matter what (:

glad that you guys have a better work/life balance (with more cooking!) now (:

August 24, 2016 at 2:39 pm

BAHA but fishy popping boba is so apt! And I totally agree that butter and soy sauce is a combo made in heaven :) Thank you, Heather!

5. stephanie says:

August 17, 2016 at 11:01 am

japanese fusion pasta is the absolute best!! i love this quick weeknight dinner. i’m going to go get some mentaiko stat!
    xoxo

• Sequoia Armstrong says:

October 2, 2016 at 8:45 am

Mentaiko spaghetti is one of my favorites! When I was growing up and would visit family in Japan I would get as much mentaiko as I could. When it’s gifted from friends it’s quite a treat. Sadly here in NYC I haven’t been making it from scratch… Will get a move on it. Thanks for the recipe!

August 20, 2016 at 10:52 am

OooOoo! I was going to ask you if you’ve tried myeongran joht but glad that you have! It is one of my absolute favorite side dishes ever….I could eat so much of it with just rice, and trust me, I’m not a huge white rice person either. I still can’t get off my mind that dreamy mentaiko udon from Marugame. I should just make my own, huh??

August 23, 2016 at 8:18 pm

I had to come back over and tell you… Remember your motion to squash? I just wrote in an email “attached is the witness prep menu”. I meant memo and caught it before it went out. Thought you’d get a kick out of it.

August 24, 2016 at 2:45 pm

HAHA! This made my day (but I’m glad you caught it!) The things we do when it gets late… I hope you got home at a decent hour, friend!

8. Esther says:

August 29, 2016 at 9:38 pm

This looks so good! There is a Japanese market somewhat near where I am, but most of the time I don’t even know what to buy there! Mentaiko sounds completely foreign to me, but I’m excited to try this recipe!

September 7, 2016 at 1:42 pm

I’m sure I couldn’t pay Chris to eat this (well, maybe a BITE), but it has my name written ALL OVER IT. Definitely intrigued enough to hunt down the proper ingredients the next time one of my foodie friends is around to help me polish it off. Or maybe just Lana. Babies can eat roe, right? 😉