November 24, 2015 at 10:27 am

That lamb shanked pulled apart photo looks so delicious. I want to hang it up on my wall 🙂 . I’ve never had red beans and rice, traditional or with a twist- this sounds delicious though, and Christine is spot on – traditions are made to be mangled. Have a lovely Thanksgiving Cynthia!

November 24, 2015 at 11:07 am

Happy happy thanksgiving to you guys and your families! I hope you have a splendid time at home and eat all the delicious food. Totally loving this creative take on leftovers. Is it wrong that I want to go and roast a turkey now just so I can make this?

November 24, 2015 at 11:11 am

That lamb shank looks so good and that rice! I never thought I’d want to make a leftover dish but alas, I’m all about this. I love lamb. Happy thanksgiving. Enjoy your first as a married couple!

November 24, 2015 at 11:56 am

As your part-Cajun blogger friend, I feel like I can speak on behalf of all Cajuns here and say you have NOTHING to apologize for. This recipe is why I love you, Cynthia. It’s so inventive, it’s got bones from so many different cultures, cuisines, personalities, and people, which is what makes cooking so much fun. (In case you didn’t already know, I’m far more playful than I am purist in the kitchen!) Also, as a lamb lover, red bean lover, and Asian foods lover, I’m intrigued and fairly set on making this this weekend. Hope you and B2 have the happiest of Thanksgivings! xoxox

5. Erica says:

November 24, 2015 at 8:52 pm

This sounds INCREDIBLE. Like, the most creative use of Thanksgiving leftovers I have ever seen on the Internet and I want it RIGHT NOW! Have the happiest of Thanksgivings Cynthia!

November 26, 2015 at 12:53 am

I’m really not that good with leftovers either. Somehow, they don’t inspire me to get creative in the kitchen. That’s really such a shame, as leftovers can be turned into delicious meals! Well, like you showed us in this post. We’re not celebrating Thanksgiving here in Europe but I would still love to eat this this week.

Hope you have the most wonderful time back home! xx

November 27, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Beans and rice is the ONLY way to my heart. This reminds me of rajma chawal, a North Indian speciality that is served with lots of ghee on top (no meat). This is just the most perfect food for a snuggly night! I think as long as we remember and acknowledge where traditions come from (much like the whole celebration of Thanksgiving, right?) there’s absolutely no hard and fast rule that we have to stick to. You have made this your own and done so in a way that embraces tradition (shout out to your mama!). It’s quite poetic, actually. 🙂 I’ll remember your mother’s wise ways next time I have leftovers.

8. Connie says:

November 28, 2015 at 2:36 am

So I have just discovered your blog (so late to the game, I know) and I’m genuinely so excited to cook through all your recipes. You’ve read my mind and have somehow compiled all the foods and cuisines I’m most obsessed over in one place. Just wanted to show my appreciation!

November 30, 2015 at 6:49 am

I was never a fan of leftovers growing up. Maybe because everything in India gets cooked for the meal. Almost everything is cooked fresh every single meal! Your dish looks exactly like the Indian dish called Rajma, sans the meat. It is a favorite meal I think of every single kid in India! This just made me soo very hungry. I love the addition of coconut rice. I might be trying this with the Indian version. I absolutely love your pictures. <3

July 15, 2016 at 8:51 am

When it comes to leftovers, I flunk. Whatever I manage to make out of them bores my family to death, lol.

You are one of the few to share a leftover recipe on the web. Your recipes are so unique.

We always cook rice in water. Using coconut milk is perfect.

Thanks, Cynthia.