February 13, 2014 at 10:12 am

Bahaha loooove this. You’re so funny. You did an EXCELLENT job propping that spoon up because I couldn’t tell those were leaning cakes at all! I was really thinking ‘what is she talking about’ before I read the part about the spoon. For what it’s worth, they look flawless in the photos and they sound absolutely DELICIOUS.

What are you doing to get this gorgeous moody lighting in these photos?? Your photography has been on such a dramatic upward curve–it’s so fun to watch!

February 13, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Hahaha! Yeah, it’s kind of amazing looking at them now how infuriating they were at the time. It’s really only that one shot at that one angle that looks deceptively normal. 😉 Honestly, I think I preferred the taste in the larger ramekins (the cake has more space to be fluffy and soft!) but if I do it again, I’m definitely not stacking them. Just burying it in creme fraiche and then in my face. 😉

Haha, mostly just making grumpy faces at the cloudy days we’ve been having (ALL on the weekends!) lately!!! To me, they look woefully underexposed, so I appreciate your kind words <3 You're so sweet, Erika!

February 13, 2014 at 11:06 am

Oh man! I can just imagine how wonderful these taste. Strawberries and angel food cake are like the definition of summer and lord knows I could use a little taste of summer right now! It’s always such a bummer when such delicious food doesn’t want to LOOK pretty. I think you did a great job And that dessert spoon? Totally hidden. I do appreciate you giving us the back story though. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who gets desperate when their food just won’t cooperate with my artistic vision. 😉

February 13, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Haha, it’s the worst! I get frustrated pretty easily, and it’s hard not to just scrap it and give up. I keep taking deep breaths like “NO, you can make this work… no, you CAN make this work..” Lol. Especially since in this case, it really did taste wonderful! But like you said, it’s always refreshing to talk about when we mess up, too. :) Thanks so much for your kind words, Courtney! And a huge thanks again for organizing all of this!!

February 13, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Thanks so much, Liz!!! :) Yes, I realized after the third attempt that making a lot of minis might suit our celebration better than a single layer cake that serves 2 😉 hurray for learning from mistakes!

February 13, 2014 at 2:28 pm

HAHA that may be the best compliment I’ve gotten in awhile, Erika! And oooh yes.. I was pretty surprised by how much I liked the vanilla. The regular was a little bit of an acquired taste for me. Thanks for stopping by! :)

February 13, 2014 at 12:22 pm

These photos are beautiful! Thanks for sharing your failures. I had to photograph my recipe twice as well. When I went to edit the first round they just fell flat. I’m so glad I did, creativity sometimes comes a little easier the second time around!

February 13, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I think they’re so refreshing to talk about sometimes, don’t you?? Otherwise it’s kind of easy to get lured into the sense that everyone else is a genius in the kitchen but you… And it’s so true that it really does fall into place more easily in a second try! Your punch was just STUNNING, too — so that more than paid off :) Thank you so much for your kind words!

February 13, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Hahaha. Thanks, Sam!! :) Also, I had a good laugh at your husband’s guest post just now. You seem like two peas in a pod. 😉

February 14, 2014 at 9:42 am

Thank you so much, Lauren!! So happy to find you through our virtual party :) I’m looking forward to following you in the future!

February 13, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Hey girl, so glad to be celebrating Galentine’s Day with you! Everything about this post, I love. The AMAZING atmospheric photos, the beautiful little cakes (all of them look good. Even the ones propped up with spoons 😉 and the styling. Love the shot of the cake dumped into the bowl. I’d be all over that in a heartbeat. So sorry you had to go through all the frustration but I think you overcame all adversity in the end. And at least you were rewarded with delicious cake and whipped vanilla creme fraiche!

February 14, 2014 at 9:46 am

YOU TOO lady!!! :):) And you are so kind. Just like you said — when you have delicious bowl-cake at the end of the day, everything else is okay really 😉 Thanks for such sweet words, friend <3

February 13, 2014 at 5:47 pm

See now if you haven’t said anything I would have never known you had issues. Your cakes just look perfect and divine and I love your photos. I think we need a date soon, so I can get styling lessons from you. Okay? Perhaps it’s jealousy over the big window you’ve got. Can we say brooklyn apartment envy?

February 14, 2014 at 9:50 am

Hahaha aw, thank you so much, Susan!! I do love those windows — but if it makes you feel better, they’re at the opposite end of the apartment from my kitchen! At least I get exercise hauling food back and forth…

February 13, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Galentine’s Day is sooo cute! I love that idea!! And I love these mini angel food cakes! They look delicious. Your mishaps sound just like things that happen in my kitchen – so nice to hear that I am not alone!!

February 14, 2014 at 10:00 am

Thank you so very much, Cate!! I’m so glad to find out from others too that they run into mishaps, not just me. Sometimes I feel like a sham with this blog, knowing the kinds of shenanigans that happen in my kitchen 😉 But it’s easy to forget that behind a lot of other successes there are some not-so-successes too. Happy Valentine’s Day, lady!

February 13, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Propped up by a dessert spoon?! Why, you clever clever woman! These poignantly lopsided Valentine’s Day cakes are so beautifully captured and ever so endearing – puts a big smile on my face. Tell the lucky man “the friend Haruka” says hello! 😉

February 14, 2014 at 9:58 am

Clever or at my wit’s end! You’re so sweet, friend Haruka :) and that made me laugh when I read it last night! Hope all’s grand on your end today <3

February 14, 2014 at 3:27 am

Haha, angel cake burger, love it!! Your writing voice is so entertaining, and when coupled with these beautiful photos, it’s a great read. Thanks for putting so much effort into your blog!

February 14, 2014 at 9:57 am

That is so very kind of you to say! :) I keep wanting to put more thought into my writing (and be serious) but it just comes out goofy in the end 😉 Hey, if it ain’t broke… Thank you for such sweet words — it makes my day, especially since I love reading your blog as well! Happy Valentine’s Day :)

February 14, 2014 at 10:25 am

This post made me smile. Because I’ve never even tried to make an angel food cake, but I can feel your pain. I generally BUY it, but then try to morph it into all kinds of other desserts. And it always crumbles and cuts and breaks the wrong way. But you know what? It’s still delicious. Especially when covered in all sorts of strawberry deliciousness!

February 14, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Ha, YES!!! And squishes when you’re trying to slice it and you’re just like s;kajdkljaskf aarrrgghh. Also, I tried to freeze my layers in one batch (to make them easier to level, sigh) and turns out you really can’t wrap them very tightly or else they freeze into odd Saran-wrapped shapes -____- The tragedy never ends.