savory bacon & cheese stuffed french toast // breakfast in bed!

breakfast in bed // savory stuffed french toast
breakfast in bed // bacon & cheese stuffed french toast
breakfast in bed // bacon & cheese stuffed french toast

The semester I spent in Hong Kong, I lived in this tiny, sun-drenched studio just big enough for my bed — it had a bathroom, and a kitchen with two burners that couldn’t heat up at the same time, and a little stretch of hardwood floor, and a bed that took up the rest. It was so compact that pulling back the curtains soaked the entire apartment in light.  You could sit in bed and touch every wall if you tried.  I totally loved it.  It was a me-sized, luxuriously slothful haven, where I ate in bed and studied in bed and pretty much never left my bed if I was home. When Bowl #2 visited, we had Thanksgiving dinner in bed — bowls of Indomie, frozen dumplings, and KFC takeout propped up on nothing but law books and prayers that I wouldn’t spill soy sauce on my sheets. Student living at its finest.

Since then we’ve graduated to bigger things, like living rooms and occasionally eating on tables, but when Evencki so graciously sent me these gorgeous linens, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to revisit those student days. Breakfast in bed is a rare occasion around here — Bowl #2’s normal breakfast is a mug of black coffee with a side of black coffee, and he’s such a super light sleeper that I couldn’t sneak up on him with a tray of pancakes to save my life, but I had a day-old batch of this bread (sub this challah dough) just waiting to be French toast-ified, and we had these impossibly cool and crisp new sheets to luxuriate in, so he indulged me this Valentine’s Day.

I’ve actually been meaning to share this French toast for almost a year now, which is a little crazy to me.  It’s pretty much all I want in a lazy weekend breakfast — eggs, bacon, cheese, carbs — all rolled into one, and it’s perfect for breakfast in bed. The custard in the French toast keeps bed crumbs to a minimum, and wrapping all your usual breakfast suspects up into one plump challah jacket makes for neat but decadent eating.  Plus, you can slice up and stuff these the night before, then all you have to do in the morning is brew a pot of coffee, whisk up the egg mixture, dip, fry, and serve.  (And, if you’re a weirdo like me, douse it in maple syrup.  Somehow I love maple syrup on my savory foods.  But I won’t blame you if you opt out on that count.)

Hope you’re all having wonderful weeks, and wishing you a little bit of sloth and extra time in bed in the near future!

breakfast in bed // bacon & cheese stuffed french toast
breakfast in bed // bacon & cheese stuffed french toast breakfast in bed // bacon & cheese stuffed french toast
breakfast in bed // savory stuffed french toast
breakfast in bed // bacon & cheese stuffed french toast

Savory bacon & cheese stuffed French toast

Slightly stale or day-old bread will work best here. I especially love it with challah or brioche, though I think leftover slices of this milk bread would work well, too. Here, I used Artisan Bread in Five's no-knead challah, but made using the garlic, chives and smoked gouda filling here.

Ingredients

• 3-4 rashers bacon
  • 3-4 very thick-cut (about 1-inch or more is ideal) slices of day-old bread (I used this no-knead challah made with this filling)
  • about 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or cheese of your choice -- I substituted a handful of shredded smoked Gouda; Gruyere would also work wonderfully)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper as desired
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 2-3 tsp reserved bacon grease (from above), for frying
  • maple syrup for serving (optional, but I love it)

Instructions

1. Cook the bacon, either by baking or pan-frying, to the doneness of your liking. To bake, simply place the bacon on a rimmed baking sheet and place in a cold oven. Turn the oven to 400 degrees and let heat for 10-15 minutes, or until bacon is crisp and fat is rendered. (Keep an eye on it for the last 5 minutes to ensure it doesn't burn.) To panfry, lay the bacon in a single layer in a cold skillet. Turn the heat to medium and cook until crisp, flipping as necessary. Reserve bacon fat for frying the French toast. Let bacon cool briefly, then chop into small pieces and set aside.
  2. Use a serrated knife to cut through bottom crust of each slice of bread, slicing almost to the edges, to make a “pocket” for the cheese and bacon.
  3. In a small bowl, mix shredded cheese and cooled bacon until combined. Stuff each slice carefully with your desired amount of the bacon and cheese mixture.
  4. In a shallow bowl large enough to hold the bread slices, whisk the egg, milk, Parmesan cheese, and a pinch of salt and pepper until well-combined. Soak each slice of bread in the egg mixture until both sides are well-coated.
  5. In a cast-iron skillet, heat 2-3 tsp of the reserved bacon fat over medium heat with the minced garlic until the garlic crackles. Add the soaked bread slices and fry until golden-brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Serve immediately with extra bacon, if desired, and plenty of maple syrup if you're so inclined.

Notes

The amount of bread you need will vary depending on the size of your slices -- I used a squat challah, so we made four slices, but you might just need two from a larger loaf.

March 4, 2015 at 7:01 am

Why am I sat in my stupid office and not luxuriating in bed with a plate of this goodness in front of me?! We never ever have breakfast in bed but I’m totally inspired to make it a thing now.

March 5, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I know! Now I’m thinking we should try it to do it more often too. I feel like it’s the epitome of the weekend. Hope you have a lovely one ahead, Kathryn 🙂

2. themoonblushbaker says:

March 4, 2015 at 8:21 am

When you introduce your lifestyle in to your post, I want to love your blog and your food philosophy more and more. I will never get the luxury of breakfast in bed due to my coffee addiction (much like Bowl #2)
    Can I get your approval to make this as a late night snack? A large porky, bread-y snack…

March 5, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Um, 100% SUPPORTED. I think late night feasts in bed might be the one thing that beats breakfast in bed… 😉 We’ve definitely had a lot more pizza in bed than breakfast bahahah. Thank you so much for your super sweet words, Belinda!!

March 6, 2015 at 10:56 am

Baha I know! Even for me I paused for a second before I poured that maple syrup all over cheese (?) and chives and garlic?! But somehow it works? Thanks so much for your sweet words, Kristin! 🙂

March 6, 2015 at 10:58 am

Oh my gosh, I wish I was back in bed too. Only one more day til the weekend, phew — thanks so much, Nicole!! 🙂

March 4, 2015 at 11:03 am

This is impossibly good! That cheese…mmm. Usually I do not have time for such things (since I get up at 5: 45 am and at 7 am I already on my way). But on the weekends – cup of coffee and a cheese plate in bed – is a must!

March 6, 2015 at 11:02 am

Yes!! I’m all about those weekend mornings 🙂 Best part of the week (and it’s almost here, yippee!) Thanks so much for your sweet words, Maryna!

March 6, 2015 at 11:04 am

Sini, your comments never fail to make me smile — thank you, dear friend! Hope you’ve been having a great week too. I’ve been missing your lovely blog. Hope that situation is rectified soon… hugs to you <3

March 4, 2015 at 11:38 am

I’m having major hair envy right now. (that sounds weird reading it back)
    All french toast should be fried in bacon fat, seriously- this looks so amazing lady!

• says:

March 4, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I agree with Erika ^^ on the morning hair envy! Damn, lady! And this sounds amazing. Tiny room, big room, any room–bacon french toast (DEFINITELY plus maple syrup) = perfection.

March 4, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Oh I want to try this so bad! I sounds wonderful! And I am so with you on the maple syrup. I love when the syrup gets all up in my bacon/eggs/whatever else I’m eating. It really can do no wrong. Also, that last picture = <3 <3 <3 You are adorable, girlie!

March 4, 2015 at 2:25 pm

oh, hey pretty lady! oh my gosh, i love that sweet, sweet photo of you! and the rest of these shots are so dreamy, isn’t it amazing how fresh white sheets can make all the difference on these cold gloomy days!? so happy you two were able to revisit your days eating and enjoying each other’s company, all in the coziness of your own bed! seriously, what’s better than that? all so lovely, cynthia! xo

March 4, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Beautiful!!!! This is such a magical post. I never thought of doing a SAVORY french toast …. mind blown. And I would definitely want maple syrup all over mine, too. 😀 When the heck are we hanging out again, btw??!?!? Robert and I need to get back to NYC. xoxo

March 4, 2015 at 10:37 pm

I would eat breakfast in bed everyday if I had those linens and someone was bringing me this french toast! A girl can dream…
    Also, I’d be all over adding maple syrup to this. Gotta love that sweet and savory mix!

March 4, 2015 at 11:04 pm

Ok so I do not mean for this to sound creepy, but you are so cute! I adore these pretty photos and your recipe. I’d take this breakfast in bed every day if I could!!

10. stephanie says:

March 5, 2015 at 12:19 pm

so cozy with that cheezy bacon french toast with maple!! love love love this 🙂 i never do breakfast in bed but i’m so inspired to now!

and i know i say this every time i see a pic of you, but it needs to be said…your hair!!! it’s so gorgeous. as are you and your writing too 🙂

• stephanie says:

March 5, 2015 at 12:20 pm

ps – your time in hk sounds awesome. i too would like a room with just a bed in it heehee. and yaaasss to indomie, dumplings, and kfc 😀

March 5, 2015 at 10:41 pm

i love that you did a semester in HK! i so wish i did that during my college years … i had the opportunity to live in the netherlands for a semester during art school but ended up going on tour with a band instead … a fun experience in itself i guess… you are such a lovely writer, cynthia! i am sooo behind on your blog but looking forward to slowly catching up. bright, happy photos… and the bacon cheese stuffed french toast… gah i’ve been eating so much kale that i am now on the other side of the spectrum, chowing down on cheesey meaty goodness… so this sounds so good to me … xoxo (PS also “rashers” always makes me laugh! hehe!) XO

12. chockywoky says:

March 6, 2015 at 4:52 am

gosh – I love this all too much 🙂 everything seems to go together magically! You look esp lovely too xx

March 6, 2015 at 6:56 am

Ahahah this post has AAAALL the things that make me sick/I can’t eat, but damn is it gorgeous! It’s so beautiful and you look super pretty in that last photo with coffee <3

March 6, 2015 at 11:11 am

Oh my goodness… EVERYTHING about this! Those sheets, that french toast… the thought of your perfect tiny little apartment and Thanksgiving dinner in bed. I love it! Also, bacon I’ve done with french toast… but cheese is just brilliant. YUM.

March 6, 2015 at 8:26 pm

All of this is so so so dreamy and insanely beautiful. I loved hearing about your sun drenched studio in Hong Kong, and how you ate/studied/everything’d in bed. That sounds beyond amazing if you ask me. And then there’s this french toast. I’m drooling all over it cause I’ve actually never had a savory version and I am so surprised I haven’t, as it sounds like my heaven. P.s. I’m with you all the way with maple on savories!!

March 7, 2015 at 10:16 pm

I LOVE breakfast in bed, but I am (kind of) uptight that I only do it in the hotel on vacation where the nice housekeeper kindly changes the sheet daily (uuuummmm good time) 🙂
    Now that I see this post, I need to go on vacation like RIGHT NOW.

p.s. you are SO CUTE, Ms. Cynthia 🙂

17. sophiatrh says:

March 9, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Beautiful photography and food! The linens are gorgeous too – I wouldn’t leave if that were my bed… SophiaXx

March 10, 2015 at 11:30 am

I have NEVER had breakfast in bed! I think I’m missing out here 🙂 And, challah jacket?!? those two words made my day. Looks beautiful friend!

19. bec {daisy and the fox} says:

March 12, 2015 at 7:45 am

Your Hong Kong apartment sounds like my dream apartment!
    Living life out of bed – i looooove it!
    Plus, this recipe sounds too good – french toast WITH bacon and cheese YESSS!
    thanks for the recipe 🙂

Bec {Daisy and the Fox}

March 16, 2015 at 1:58 pm

How did I miss this awesome post? I love love love the adorable photos of you eating breakfast in bed (hmmm…that sounds kinda creepy). And damn, that stringy melty cheese is getting me all hot ‘n bothered (again, very creepy). I’m glad you and Bowl #2 got to enjoy an amazing brekkie in luxurious brand new sheets in your bigger-than-a-box apartment!

March 30, 2015 at 4:33 am

I loved reading your interview on Bloglovin’s blog Cynthia! So down to earth and genuine. And I’m fascinated by you actually working a full time job as a lawyer and still managing to create such beautiful blog content!
    I always struggle to find the time to keep up my own blog (and work on more cooking/baking, styling, and food photography) next to running a business – and that is although I have complete control over my time.
    Looking at the photos in this post I couldn’t help but imagine what went into creating them – I’m sure there was a lot of planning and a few ‘stressful’ moments of setting up involved before getting those dreamy shots that look so relaxing?! I always find that cooking food and then photographing the food can be very exhausting, especially because I usually can’t wait to actually eat the food, and can get slightly overwhelmed by the many styling options there are, so I always end up shooting for ages, stressing myself thinking I should hurry up to actually get to eating the food, then again hoping I didn’t miss an amazing shot, and then when I’ve got all the photos I can finally relax – and don’t want to tidy/clean up ;D
    Would love to hear more about your process, and very curious to hear the story behind this post! You sound so structured and organised in your Bloglovin’ interview 😉
    Anyway – thank you for sharing your beautiful work – just looking at the photos is wonderful!

April 4, 2015 at 9:32 am

I literally just ate chocolate porridge in bed while drooling over this post!! Incredible. Gorgeous recipes, gorgeous words xx