December 15, 2015 at 10:52 am

Hi Christie, I’m sorry, I’m not too sure what would be a good vegan substitute for scallops! I do love soy-braised tofu, though (here’s my MIL’s recipe that I adore!), and I feel like a sweet miso glaze might work well there too if you like tofu! I’d try searing the tofu like the recipe calls for, then use a marinade of 2 tbsp miso paste (provided it is made without bonito or other fish products), 3 tbsp mirin, 1-2 tbsp sugar, and 1-2 tablespoons of water, and simmer until the sauce reduces. (My guess is that the tofu would not need the sake.)

Now you’ve got me wondering how that would turn out :) I’ll report back if I try it. I’d love to hear how it goes for you too if it strikes your fancy! Thanks so much for the kind words!

1. Erica says:

December 15, 2015 at 7:58 am

I totally smiled when I read “fourth Roger Federer cap” and then got to thinking, “That’s actually a great gift idea for my mom…” haha! These scallops look so diviiiine! Pretty much anything miso glazed is a good bet, this would be such a hit with my own parents!

December 15, 2015 at 9:20 am

My husband loves scallops so I must make this for him. And I can never find dry scallops so a recipe that actually works better with wet ones is my answer! Thank you! Plus, a big happy birthday to your generous and kind dad!! Happy Holidays! : )

December 15, 2015 at 10:53 am

bahahah well doesn’t your dad just sound like the sweetest person ever? i’m the total opposite too — if i hate something, i make erlend eat ALL OF IT because i’m the worst like that.

these scallops tho look tasty as heck! happy holidays!

December 15, 2015 at 12:15 pm

oOoOh I LOVE scallops + miso so this sounds like a definite win!! And what a great idea for your dad…I totally might steal that Beer of the Month gift idea for my dad or hubby! ; ) I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of that before either!

December 15, 2015 at 12:22 pm

I love that Nobu miso black cod. I actually just had it the other day and bought a tub of white miso that I’ll never get full use out of. I’ve been hunting around the internets for recipes. I used it on salmon. I like that you paid attention to the aftertaste, which can be a problem if you’re not careful. Happy Bday Bowl 1 dad! What a sweet post for him. Great photos as always. All the best.

December 15, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Miso and scallops together sound like taking two incredible things and turning it into the best thing ever. I’m totally making these for my next indulgent dinner. And I may steal your beer-of-the-month idea for my dad’s birthday.

December 16, 2015 at 3:56 pm

I love to read about awesome dads! He sounds like loads of fun, Cynthia. :) And omgness can we talk about those raw pieces of glory?! I love the first picture with raw scallops for some reason, and it’s also probably because I’m weird and love handling raw meat in general. 0_0

December 19, 2015 at 4:45 am

Happy birthday to your dad!! He sounds like such an adorable and kind man! My boyfriend is a HUGE fan of miso cod, he also orders it whenever he sees it on the menu, although he doesn’t have the problem of having none left since I’m vegetarian and don’t eat fish, haha! Such a sweet post <3

9. Anonymous says:

April 10, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Question: The ingredients list indicates dry scallops are best, yet the note at end of recipe states that wet scallops are best. Which is it? Thank you.

April 10, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Hi! Sorry for the confusion! The recipe was meant to indicate that dry scallops are always best if you can find them, because they aren’t soaked in water or treated with any preservatives, so they have the purest and freshest flavor; the note explains that the method for this recipe, however, is tweaked to best suit wet scallops, since they’re often more widely available and more affordable. If you can find dry scallops, that’s still best — you can skip dipping the scallops in sugar. I hope that makes sense! I’ll edit the recipe to clarify. Thank you for pointing this out!