August 12, 2015 at 8:44 am

Mm Cynthia, this dish looks so good – simple, beautifully presented, and super tasty – the epitome of a Japanese meal. One of the most striking things about Japanese food when I was there last summer was its simplicity. A bowl of cold soba with mentsuyu sauce was probably my favorite. Then there was just steamed rice with chicken. So simple yet so delicious. I’d love to see more Japanese recreations!!!

August 19, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Yessss, cold soba noodles are so amazing — there are a couple versions of this sesame dipping sauce I came across that used mentsuyu as the thinning broth, I feel like that would be magical. Elegant simplicity all the way. Thanks so much for the sweet words!!

August 12, 2015 at 8:44 am

Can I just say, your recipes and photos are just so inspiring. Well, of course I can say that, because who wouldn’t want to hear that? But really. I love what you do here. And I am so happy you are recreating some of what you experienced on your trip. I hope you do it more. I am always a bit shy to tell people that what they do impresses me, in case it comes off as disingenuous. So I hope it doesn’t come across that way.
    It really makes me smile that this is your version of a simple lunch. I guess I should update my simple lunch from pb&j to this. I think that would definitely give me some style points. And who doesn’t need more style points, right?

November 10, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Hi Kathryn, I meant to tell you way, way back when you posted this how much I appreciated such a kind, thoughtful, and heartfelt comment — thank you so much. It really made my day, so thanks for taking the leap and leaving such kind words! πŸ™‚ (PS I loooove PB&Js!!)

August 12, 2015 at 9:25 am

I’m reading a book you might enjoy called “On the noodle road”. It’s about a newly wed young woman, chef/journalist who sets off on the silk trade road and westerm China to discover the history of noodles. This dish and that wonderful dipping sauced reminds me of that. What a refreshing dish full of taste that doesn’t need the oven. Enjoy the week!

August 12, 2015 at 10:21 am

While I’ve not made many Japanese dishes this really makes me want to get out there and try it! Perhaps I’ll take a break from baking sourdough and give your recipe a shot. My wife and I are going to Japan next year so I need to be prepared πŸ™‚

August 12, 2015 at 10:35 am

To say I love that sesame sauce is an understatement- I remember having it in Japanese restaurants when I was a kid and I was kiiinda obsessed, especially with the gomae/sesame spinach salad. One of my favourite things about Japanese food is how clean and simple it is. This udon sounds so cooling- exactly what I need right now!

August 12, 2015 at 11:00 am

You just made tofu look sexy and now the internet is going to break!!! LOL.

The mister and I have been making a version of this for easy dinners lately (with grilled tofu b/c I hate my range right now!) but I have been cheating and using Nong’s sauce (a portland staple) instead of making my own, which I hate doing because homemade sauces are the bomb but I was mostly just being lazy because I didn’t feel like searching for the perfect recipe. So, obviously, I’m totally going to try this very, very soon and could not be more excited!

August 12, 2015 at 11:18 am

Across whole Europe the weather really doesn’t permit longer cooking, so this lovely, light lunch suggestion is just the thing we need – and it’s simple enough for people like me, who are not so familiar with the secret of Japanese cuisine…

August 12, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Mmmmm Oh my goodness! This looks so delicious, so simple, so amazing. I have a trip over to Asia coming up, with a quick stop in Japan – I am hoping to experience so many of the things that you had mentioned throughout your Japan posts – the food of course, being a big one. Absolutely stunning! xx

August 12, 2015 at 12:33 pm

I love it when people recreate dishes they tasted in their travels. It’s a beautiful way to share your adventures with other people. This looks absolutely delicious. I’m so intrigued by this whole recipe, I’ve never heard or seen anything like it, and I love that. Thanks for expanding my horizons πŸ™‚
    xx Sydney

August 12, 2015 at 2:33 pm

This is gorgeous Cynthia! You totally have me craving this sauce with some cold noodles and tofu right now. Sounds like the perfect summer lunch. I love how traveling opens you up to new tastes and bring so much inspiration into the kitchen back home. Love <3

August 12, 2015 at 5:27 pm

I really think Japanese recipes are more intimidating than difficult (reason why I don’t cook Chinese, lol). I tried several things with amazing results. I have the best ever Japanese cookbook ever, ‘The Art of Japanese Cooking’, by Shizuo Tsuji. He explains all japanese cuisine step by step. It’s a wonderful read, even if you end up not making anything from it!
    Love everything you do! I want a bowl of those <3

12. Sophie | The Green Life says:

August 13, 2015 at 12:13 am

This is gorgeous! It looks so simple, yet delicious! I’ve been wanting to visit Japan for so long. And now you’re making me want to go even more. Your photos are truly beautiful.

13. kaleandcaramel says:

August 13, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Ohmygosh drooling! Cynthia. I love this post so muchβ€”I’ve never been to Japan, but I felt immersed in the wonder of your time there. And this is basically my perfect lunch. When can I come over?!

August 14, 2015 at 11:14 am

How perfect is this?! i totally understand when you apologize for re-making something that only the experts should have the right to come near! ^_^ But this seriously does look like an amazing dish inspired by your honeymoon~I can’t imagine how much good food there was.

15. Kayla says:

August 14, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Oh my new BFF, Cynthia! I have been reading your blog for ummm let’s see… 3 days now and it has consumed at least 20 of the 36 hours, give or take πŸ˜€ I’m 3 months pregnant right now and have made 3 of your amazingly delicious recipes so far (yes, that’s 1 per day to be exact). So my compliments to you for making me hungry & satisfied! God bless you & your blog!

August 17, 2015 at 9:17 am

this dish sounds (and looks!) like just the thing i would love to bring to the beach on a summer day! and dashi water in the dipping sauce – whoa! i am so stoked to try that out! haha, i’m still trying to recreate a rice and bean dish frank and i had on our honeymoon in costa rica; although it’s a basic dish, i can’t quite seem to get it right. hope you’re staying cool, girl! xo’s!

17. Joanna says:

August 17, 2015 at 10:00 am

This looks lovely! I actually made the sesame sauce atop zucchini noodles (aka Zoodles) with a bit of shredded carrot ribbons on top and it was delightful!

August 17, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Nami is the best! I love her tutorials on Japanese food and she’s so sweet. I’ve been wanting to learn how to make udon at home, their texture is amazing. As always, Cynthia this dish you’ve shared looks delicious and I can’t wait to try making it at home!

August 21, 2015 at 9:35 pm

This reminds me of the good old days in Japan. Aren’t their food so delicate, beautiful, fresh and could capture the most subtle flavors? This is a very delicious list of ingredients. And it’s a great summer dish. I’m cooking some fresh noodles tomorrow and can’t wait to try out this dipping sauce πŸ™‚