June 19, 2014 at 12:55 am

Talk about Asian mothers, Cynthia! My mom (as, I’m sure, most non-American moms are, as I’ve heard) doesn’t know what measuring spoons are for–she thinks they’re a joke. Seriously. unfortunately, though she’s eager to teach, she isn’t the culinary master my aunt is–my aunt does everything from zhong zi (if you’re familiar with those–bamboo-wrapped rice) to homemade bao and sweet soup dumplings and walnut dessert soup–and I’m not sure she knows what it means to share those recipes. I really don’t know where she gets her technique from! It’s simply amazing, as is this fish with that awesome caramelization. You’ve definitely got the culinary talent from somewhere–great post!

June 20, 2014 at 10:33 am

Hahaha, the measuring spoon thing is TOO hilarious! (It also made for a few super interesting and less than successful baking experiments when I was a kid …) Oh, to have the mystic power of Asian aunties. Maybe one day. 🙂 Thanks so much for the kind words, Ala!

June 19, 2014 at 2:50 am

I started eating seafood a couple years ago and love salmon, but I’m terrified of cooking it at home since like you said, there are so many ways to do it! I think I’m okay with foregoing the crispy exterior so I can make this and get it right!

June 20, 2014 at 10:34 am

Yes!!! I 100% bet you can do it. It’s amazing how reliable it is. (And so easy to clean up.. thank goodness!) I hope you like it if you try it, Shikha!!

June 19, 2014 at 3:19 am

I love salmon, so definitely want to try out your way of cooking it! I always just end up doing shioshake because it so simple – I want to venture out more!
    Also, that Broccolli looks so delicious!!

June 20, 2014 at 10:36 am

Ooooh, I just googled shioshake — that sounds so interesting! I’ve never had it! I’ll have to try that sometime. Thanks for sharing, Millie!

June 19, 2014 at 5:49 am

There’s a certain little mom magic that makes everything taste that bit different and which is impossible to recreate in your kitchen isn’t there? I love your take on her recipe though and the simply jaw-droppingly gorgeous styling in your photographs xo

June 20, 2014 at 11:47 pm

There so is! Someday we’ll have it. 😉 Thank you so much, Kathryn! (And AGH, sending so much virtual cake and finger-crossing for next weekend!!!!!!!!!)

June 19, 2014 at 6:51 am

Cynthia— this post made me miss you! I love the intimate details of your mom and her cooking prowess, and how it relates to this lovely dish (thanks for sharing it with us over at Verily, btw!). I could say the same of my mother, who is so savvy with conjuring comforting Filipino dishes that she doesn’t need to protect her hands when touching even the hottest pots and pans; my jaw drops every time she does it. Aren’t mothers amazing? Hope to catch up with you soon 🙂 Please share more mother-inspired recipes!

June 20, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Yes! My mom is the same way! She’s undeterred by everything — even slicing her finger open (then she just holds it up over her head and cooks with the other hand). But speaking of fantastic mothers, I’ve been missing you too, lady!! I hope you and your little ones are all healthy and doing wonderfully and I can’t WAIT to meet you so so soon!!! (AND HARUKA! Best. News. Ever!)

June 19, 2014 at 10:50 am

I know, right? I don’t know about Asian mothers, aunts, grandmothers that they never wrote anything down, and somehow managed to make delicious meal after meal. My mom once told me many many different ways to fried fish, and of course, at that time, I hardly listened.

Love your writing & photos as ALWAYS. I am gonna click over for your recipe now. 🙂

June 20, 2014 at 11:50 pm

I know! I never appreciated her prowess until I moved out and had to have her email it or rattle it off over the phone (or else devour it all like there’s no tomorrow whenever I go home). I don’t know how they fit it all in their heads 🙂 Thank you so much for your kind words, Pang! 🙂

June 20, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Haha!! I’m sure she’d love to have you! And in turn, you can share some of your amazing Indian cuisine .. mmmmm. Thank you so much, Nik!

June 19, 2014 at 12:58 pm

cynthia, you’re giving you mom a run for her money here with this salmon! i looks delicious – it has ALL the good things: ginger, green onions, garlic and soy?! always a good thing. and oh, i LOVE broccoli stems 😀

June 20, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Baha, don’t let her hear you say that!!! 😉 And oh my goodness, me too re: broccoli stems! So underrated. I’m always the weirdo looking for the crowns with the longest stalks at the grocery store.

June 19, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I’m thinking I need to be at your mom’s house next time she’s cooking.. this looks so amazing and your photos are beautiful as always.

June 20, 2014 at 10:03 am

there’s something about how graceful moms are when they cook. my mom never cooked anything fancy, but she had this ease and assuredness whenever she did. sounds like you are just the ace your mom seems to be.
    this looks like such a wholesome, delicious meal!

by the by, i eat fish often, mostly white, would you think a cut of halibut would cook sufficiently in parchment? i’m too scared to try for fear i’ll mess it all up and waste perfectly good fishies : /

June 21, 2014 at 12:14 am

I think halibut would totally work!! Maybe even better? It seems like it would be tenderer. I’ve never tried it, so I can’t say for sure, but Google appears to be backing me up … Hope it turns out if you do try it!

June 20, 2014 at 6:36 pm

LOVE this method for fool-proof delicious salmon and love the sweet tribute to your mother! Those flavors… perfection. Also, thanks for showing the broccoli stems some love 😉 Looks TASTY! And easy enough for tonite! Happy weekend, xo!

June 21, 2014 at 12:14 am

Broccoli stems totally need more love!!!! So good. 🙂 Thanks so much for the kind words, friend!

June 22, 2014 at 9:10 am

To be honest, I’ve been dreaming of this dish for the whole week now. The recipe sounds mouth-watering, and your pictures capture that deliciousness in such a great way, Cynthia. I’m sure I can’t resist for much longer; I just have to make this en-papillote dinner happen. Soon. Very soon.

Sending you post-midsummer greetings,
    Sini

June 22, 2014 at 10:44 am

I love the description you gave your mom, I could’ve said the same about my Russian mom too! 🙂 No recipe-no problem, no right ingredients-no problem, she will just substitute with whatever she has and charges on. My kids are making cookies as I am typing this and I am keeping an eye on them. I hope they will inherit the fearlessness in the kitchen! I am totally stealing your salmon recipe, Cynthia. You are right it does look like a killer one!

June 23, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Your mom sounds exactly like my mom, Cynthia. Amazing in the kitchen, with no formal training, just years and years of experience and incredible instinct. I’ve tried to recreate so many of my mom’s dishes and I NEVER make it the same way. My parents are pros at pan frying salmon – it’s always perfectly seasoned, so delightfully crispy on the outside and butter soft on the inside. I just can’t do it! I’ll have to make mine paipillote like yours. These photos are GORGEOUS as always! Heading over to read your post.

14. Fran says:

August 6, 2015 at 4:52 pm

For some reason I can’t get this recipe on my iPad. It looks so good. I don’t see a link to click on for the recipe.

15. Kayla says:

August 13, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Thank you (so very much) for this delicious salmon recipe! It puts such a rich twist on my favorite dinner fish! I’ve been experimenting for what seems like years now trying to find the perfect salmon recipe and I’ve finally found it! If I could, I’d hug you! Thank you!