Cucumber & chamoe melon salad.
Pickled onions adapted from Dolly and Oatmeal. I liked Korean apple vinegar here because it’s almost a drinking vinegar in how gently sweet-tart it is, but apple cider vinegar will work just as well.
- for the pickled onions:
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp Korean apple vinegar (or regular apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 shallot or 2–3 pearl onions, sliced thin
- for the rest:
- 2 cups diced cucumber (I prefer Persian cucumbers for their fresh crunch)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2–3 cups cubed Korean chamoe melon or honeydew
- 1–2 teaspoons apple vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil (just a few drops)
- 1–2 perilla leaves, torn or chopped fine
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- An hour or well ahead: Make the pickled onions by combining the water, apple vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan and bringing it to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low and let simmer gently for 5 minutes. Add the onions, then remove from heat and let sit for an hour before refrigerating or using in the salad.
- About 30 minutes ahead: Place the cucumbers in a small bowl and sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt over them. Let sit for 30 minutes, refrigerated, to draw out the water.
- Drain the cucumbers and pat dry. Add the onions (drained of brine), cubed melon, apple vinegar, sesame oil, and perilla leaves and toss until well-combined. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately. Enjoy!