1. Ksenia @ At the Immigrant's Table says:

May 3, 2016 at 7:04 am

My favourite tea shop in Winnipeg was owned by a peculiar little man. He would shout at his employees amidst the used book stacks, bullying them into taking an extra shift… or not wrapping that onigiri too snugly. In fact, his shop served nothing but tea, used books and onigiri. It was then that I discovered few things in life beat tucking into one of these salty rice squares, alongside a teapot of green tea.
    Thank you for reminding me of that joy – and showing me that onigiri is just about the easiest thing to make!

May 3, 2016 at 10:44 am

I love this story, Ksenia! What a unique shop and such funny memories. I’m so with you, I can’t think of many things better than onigiri and tea ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you so much for sharing this.

May 3, 2016 at 7:06 am

These look amazing and the way you describe them is making me want them NOW! I Love simple snacks like this and Japanese cuisine but I really never try it enough so these have definitely made my list! Thank you so much for sharing them, Cynthia!!!

May 3, 2016 at 10:46 am

Thank you so much for the kind words, Tori!! They really are so fun to make. (And if you’re feeling especially lazy, like ahem me, you can always be like my MIL and set out a plate of nori strips, a bowl of rice, and filling, and just pinch up a bit of both with nori one bite at a time!)

May 3, 2016 at 10:46 am

I love that! I think my kid-self would have adored these too if I had known what they were back then. Thanks for stopping by, Genevieve ๐Ÿ™‚

May 3, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Oh I love these. And the story about your Japanese onigiri experience coming full circle, it’s so perfect. These little guys are definitely deserving of a recipe, especially when it comes with your delicious looking photos!

4. nudefoodhero says:

May 3, 2016 at 10:37 pm

These look amazing but, I have to admit, I’m more concerned about the French bread with ricotta and honey… how have I missed this in life?! That and these onigiri are going on the “to make” list for sure!

May 4, 2016 at 9:51 am

These are the most beautiful little onigiri to ever be photographed, Cynthia! Also, it makes me happy to read of how you fell in love with them. I don’t know how but I don’t think I ever tried them when I was in Japan. Sigh. So many things to taste, not enough time. But this version with salmon sounds right up my alley! <3

May 4, 2016 at 5:15 pm

I love onigiri and yours turned out soooo much more beautiful than mine!!!! ๐Ÿ˜› I’m the worst with folding food. I fell in love with it during my friend’s bachelorette in Santa Monica, at the teeny tiny hole in the wall “sunny blue”. I’m not kidding when I say it’s teeny, since only about 8 people can barely fit in when they’re in a line. And wouldn’t these be the perfect little bento box lunch for a toddler?! I can’t wait until Selah stops being picky so I can make her this for preschool, hahahaa. Hope you’re doing well, m’dear!!!! <3

7. Sarah says:

May 5, 2016 at 5:45 am

Hi Cynthia, that’s such a great post! I love those thingies – they keep popping up in Berlin at different places now and your post really inspired me to make them myself. I was wondering if you have a tip on how to store seaweeds? I always have the problem that once opened, they don’t keep very well… But maybe that’s just me? Anyway, I loved the post! x Sarah

May 13, 2016 at 9:06 am

The way you described these makes me smile.. There is a little place off of Buford Hwy in Atlanta that has Onigiri and it’s phenomenal. I can not tell you how much I love your recipes, they give life to dishes that aren’t talked about enough. xoxo

May 25, 2016 at 10:53 am

That makes my day!! Sometimes simple is all you need ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you so much for trying it and letting me know, Kelsey!

9. balcazar says:

May 29, 2016 at 11:05 pm

I’ve been making these the last couple of weeks and they’ve become a hit among colleagues and partner alike! Thanks for sharing:) also, just wanted to share with you that I know of at least few other people who gave these a try… So you’ve been inspiring!