March 23, 2016 at 6:34 am

would have never thought to put orange and basil together, but it sounds delicious! and oh goodness, the filling ingredients (all mixed together) sounds like it would be dangerous- you could spread it on bread, spoon it on pancakes, swirl some into bread pudding…

March 30, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Ooh, your comment makes me want to do all of the above — yum, bread pudding!! Thank you so much for the kind words, Heather!

March 23, 2016 at 7:58 am

I simply love the idea of using the iron skillet with the parchment!! The shot looks terrific — you are such an inspiration — the photo and the recipe. And I simply love basil — I’d use it as perfume if I could :-) Have a Happy Easter!!

March 23, 2016 at 9:21 am

These look brilliant. They’re definitely not your bog standard Cinnabon envy (over sweetened) cinnamon rolls. I’m looking forward to the basil.

Thanks for something different.

-Glenn K.

4. tessahuff says:

March 23, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Ahhh these are amazing! It’s like they are calling to me. How did you know how much I love incorporating herbs with my baked goods? So yumm.

March 23, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Oh yum! I don’t know why, but your calling them soft, squishy sweet rolls just makes them sound even more appealing. I love big, soft cinnamon rolls and these look so much brighter and springier, I love it! Definitely a perfect Easter brunch dish :)

March 23, 2016 at 8:03 pm

You never fail to make an amazing post <3 Hope some serious sunshine strikes NY soon! It's pouring down buckets here these days. I feel like I can smell these rolls from the computer!
    Fun fact: I spent a ton of time in the US, and I never had a proper cinnamon roll…

March 23, 2016 at 10:04 pm

I was just thinking about making your cinnamon date rolls again and then THIS! The almond paste with marmalade- that sounds SO good. And I always admire your beautifully styled photos so much. :)

March 24, 2016 at 4:07 pm

These look so good and it’s never too warm or too cold or too anything for a sweet roll. I love your creativity in using orange and Simply Orange is actually one of my favorite juices, so go team. I hope you’re doing well. I always look forward to see what creative thing you’ve got on deck! xo

9. danielle is rooting the sun says:

March 26, 2016 at 5:58 pm

cynthia, what a beautiful idea (and always presented with such a timeless grace, i love your photography) – the basil glaze has me filling up with joy. happy spring to you!

March 28, 2016 at 3:33 pm

I adore how truly flufffyyyy these look, Cynthia! There’s {almost} nothing as comforting and satisfying as a warm yeast bread. And Simply Juice is the only brand of juice I/we drink at home! I honestly don’t see much of a point in drinking most juices because they’re not healthy nor do they have the nutrition Simply provides.

May 4, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Hi Cynthia! I’m new to your blog and I love everything about it. As a grad student in Boston it’s good to hear that there are survivors! I have a question about the prep for this recipe: I’d love to make it for my mom and mother-in-law when they come to visit this weekend, but I won’t have time Saturday night to make the dough. Could I make it Friday and freeze it before thawing on Sunday?

-Katie

May 5, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Hi Katie! If you mean just making the dough for the first overnight rise, I would probably actually try halving the yeast to 1/2 tsp and just letting the dough rise for two days in the fridge. It should rise just fine with the longer rise time and should have a nice yeast flavor that way. I have tried this with pizza doughs, though not enriched doughs. You could also probably freeze the rolls on Friday night after shaping them and placing them in the pan but before baking, then transfer to the fridge on Saturday night and bake on Sunday, though they might expand slightly less that way. If you mean actually baking the rolls on Friday, I think you could also freeze the rolls, baked but not iced, on Friday and then thaw gently in the oven, covered, on Sunday before icing them. I hope that helps!! Thank you so much for the kind words and I’ll cross my fingers these work out for your mom and MIL this weekend!