cracker-style thin crust pizza!

cracker-style thin crust pizza | two red bowls

cracker-style thin crust pizza | two red bowls

So we are currently super into thin crust pizza! I don’t know why the magic of thin crust took so long to dawn on us, but a couple of months ago B2 and I tried a new pizza place in our neighborhood and rediscovered all the perks of it we hadn’t appreciated until now. It’s crackly, flaky, crisp but with a little bit of give, and it takes up so much less belly real estate than doughy chewy regular crust that you can eat, like, seven more slices.  Which is clearly the most important part.

When I first set out to figure out thin crust at home, I realized after a few trials that the one I was after wasn’t necessarily a pliable, Roberta’s-style thin crust, black-blistered on the edges and stretchy (although I just saw this and now I might be amending my statement).  Instead, it was a crispy, layered “cracker-style thin crust” I learned hailed from St. Louis, a no-yeast (!) and no-rise magical creation that lets you go from pantry staples to pizza in less than an hour.  I based this recipe on one from Lottie + Doof and one from King Arthur Flour, and found that it was the perfect, slightly crunchy but slightly chewy thin crust we were after, and the quickest and easiest one I’ve ever made, to boot.  For the days when I forget to leave out a 24-hour no-knead dough, or even for the rest, I am so excited about this.

I’m pairing up with West Elm for these couple of weeks!  It was an arugula, apple, balsamic, & bacon combo that first stole my heart at that thin crust pizza place around the corner, and you can find my at-home recipe for it on their blog this morning.  Thank you so much to West Elm for sponsoring these posts!

cracker-style thin crust pizza | two red bowls

cracker-style thin crust pizza | two red bowls

cracker-style thin crust pizza | two red bowls

cracker-style thin crust pizza | two red bowls

cracker-style thin crust pizza | two red bowls

cracker-style thin crust pizza | two red bowls

cracker-style thin crust pizza | two red bowls

Cracker-style thin crust pizza!

makes two 10-inch thin crust pizzas or one 14-inch. Based on recipes by Lottie + Doof and King Arthur Flour.

Ingredients

• 1 cup plus 1 tbsp all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 6 tbsp water
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1/2 tsp honey (or sugar)

Instructions

1. Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the water, oil, and honey. Pour the water mixture into the flour mixture and stir until a dough comes together. Switching to your hands, knead the dough until smooth and supple, about 5 minutes. Divide the dough into two equal pieces (or leave as one, for one larger pizza), shape each one into a round disk, cover with a cloth, and let rest on a board for 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees with a pizza stone or cast-iron skillet (turned upside down, if you like) inside.
  3. Working with one portion of dough at a time, roll a dough disk between two pieces of parchment paper into a round that is about 10-inches in diameter. Peel off the top layer of parchment. If you like, brush lightly with olive oil (I often forget this step, so I'll go ahead and say it's optional), then spread with sauce and your choice of topping. (Here's one we're liking lately!)
  4. Using the parchment paper, transfer the pizza to the pizza stone in the oven. Bake until browned on top and slightly charred on the edges, about 10 minutes. Enjoy!

February 3, 2016 at 7:09 am

Hello! This looks yummy and definetly something I would like to try. Out of curiosity, have you tried making it with whole wheat flour. Do you think that would rock out the same or would the texture be different!

February 3, 2016 at 7:11 am

Oh gosh…I need to re-read my comments before posting…sorry! I meant to say..would that ‘work out’ the same or would the texture be different? My iPad took over my spelling..lol..

February 10, 2016 at 10:44 am

I like the idea of pizza crusts rocking out!! 🙂 I’m sorry to say that I have no idea how whole wheat flour would work here because I’ve never tried it, but I feel like it should work! I imagine it might need a bit more water if you use 100% whole wheat, but perhaps you could try 50/50 whole wheat and regular first, and then adjust from there? This is all guesses, though. If you try it, I would absolutely love to hear how it goes! Thank you so much for stopping by, Colleen!

February 3, 2016 at 8:00 am

We make lots and lots and lots of pizza dough. We certainly don’t like the really thick bready type crust — you can’t taste the delicious toppings. If we want bread we make bread. This is a very interesting crust. We look forward to making the crust. Your toppings are very interesting!! 🙂

February 3, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Ugh, and this is one of the big reasons I hate dairy free… curse you pizza. Looking good – love the photography, Apple wouldn’t have been my first choice for a pizza

February 3, 2016 at 5:39 pm

yussss to thin crust! although most places didn’t generally serve it, i grew up eating it. me and my mom would always get the margherita pizza with fresh basil – yum. LOVE these greens and the addition of apple! sounds like the perfect balance of meaty, cheesy, fresh, and crisp! going over to west elm now 🙂 so happy to see your beautiful work over there, lovely. xo

February 4, 2016 at 11:28 am

I can’t tell you how many nights I want to make pizza (like NOW) but then haven’t done the overnight rise and I refuse to eat traditional pizza dough that hasn’t sat for at least 24 hours because I take my pizza seriously. But this. This just might solve all my problems! Perfect for nights when I don’t plan in advance. Love it, Cynthia! (And yes to eating seven more slices…)

February 5, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Yo, crackuh! This looks so good! Who knew thin crust could be this simple?? I’ve always been the thin-medium (does that make sense?) type of pizza eater like the ones I grew up on in Argentina…but once in a while that thin crunch is so perfect.

February 7, 2016 at 12:29 pm

I always prefer thin crust pizza. I do like thick crusts on occasion, but I like the delicate crunch of a well made thin crust, and it’s so much less… heavy. Which means I can eat more pizza.

February 13, 2016 at 9:54 am

Hi Aubrey! I just plunk the parchment onto the cast-iron skillet and bake the pizza on the parchment — no need to slide it out. Hope that helps!

• says:

February 13, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Ah! Yes! Awesome! I looked at the pictures of your pizza and assumed you had baked it without the parchment. I can TOTALLY leave it on the parchment! Any issues with the final pizza sticking to the parchment paper?

February 15, 2016 at 3:36 pm

This crust is so good! I have a yeast dough I really like but sometimes you just want that thin crispy crust. 🙂 I did 1.5x the recipe but next time I’ll double it for our family of 4 since my husband and I were basically fighting over the last piece (I mean, our girls may be 1.5 and 4 but they can put down some pizza – especially when it’s this good!). And I’ll probably experiment with using half whole wheat flour, too, to see if I can get away with it. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

February 27, 2016 at 9:31 pm

This pizza was amazing!!!!!! When I lived in milano there was a place called Spib down the street from me and they served thin crust cracker style pizza it was such an amazing reminder of my time there. I will definitely make this recipe again! Thanks for sharing.

March 7, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Gawd! The photography on this is so inviting. Thank you, and such an easy recipe. I love thin crusts and always struggle to get that cracker texture. This was the best I’ve tried.

12. Amber H. says:

March 11, 2017 at 5:34 am

Thank you for the recipe. We moved to a Southern state that knows nothing about pizza. We’ll try it this weekend.
    Back home we had restaurant that specialized in a “Chicago” style pizza that was delish. The secret was in the dough. It wasn’t a thick, bready, chewy crust; instead it was a relatively thin (1/8″) crispy, almost cracker consistency bottom crust. It was a 1-1/2 to 2″ deep pie that was mostly cheese and toppings. The sides were molded and folded into the black Chicago pizza pan to double the thickness of the bottom. We’ve been looking for a crisp pizza dough recipe to try as a Chicago pizza. I think this may work.

13. Sandy Henderson says:

April 4, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Jus put crust in oven on top of pan…topped with Alfredo pesto and parm. Can’t wait! Also added herbs to the dough