1. Ksenia @ At the Immigrant's Table says:

January 6, 2016 at 7:02 am

The whole look of this dish just speaks to comfort. I make myself meals that are very similar on weeknights, except that I sub the chicken for cabbage – it gives it some substantial body that goes really well with egg and soy sauce. Thank you for sharing this beauty – and happy New Year!!!

• claire says:

January 7, 2016 at 9:04 am

I was just rueing being a vegetarian and then spied this! Maybe a kombu “semi-dashi” and cabbage?…or maybe I should just go read up on egg-drop soup or something similar! Love the ooey-gooey onelette vibr here though.

January 13, 2016 at 1:02 pm

I bet a kombu dashi would work wonderfully, Claire!! And actually Erika at http://thepancakeprincess.com just told me she made this with tofu — maybe another option?! It sounded and looked incredible — even loosier and goosier and more comforting :) Thank you for the kind words!

January 13, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Ooh, cabbage sounds so, so good! I can just imagine that texture and I agree it sounds like it would go perfectly. I can’t wait to try that next. Thank you, Ksenia!

January 6, 2016 at 7:44 am

Welcome back! I am so making this. My husband will loooove it. And it doesn’t take tons of time. Added bonus that it calls for sake because 2 tbs in the pan translates to 2 cups on the lips :). Wait, what was that about indulgence?? Lmao re that video of the little girl. Happy New year. It’s always so wonderful to wake up to your posts and the fact that you make an effort on top of your demanding day job. All the best.

January 13, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Amanda, thank you so much for such thoughtfulness, always. Your comments truly make my day and have brought a smile to my face so often! They really mean so much. Thank you and hope you’re doing wonderfully.

January 13, 2016 at 1:04 pm

That is exactly me these days!! Wishing us lots of comfort food to help us get back into productivity mode (JK I’m not sure when I’m ever in productivity mode.) Thanks so much, Heather!!

January 6, 2016 at 12:02 pm

You know how I feel about comfort food. Custard-y chicken dishes speak my language. I’ve never had Oyakodon, that needs to change.. :) Happy 2016!

4. Erica says:

January 6, 2016 at 2:57 pm

I’ve never had this but I totally want to try it now, starting with this one! Also we are totally on the same vibes right now with the eating between healthy and comfort 😉 Hope you have the happiest start to your year Cynthia!!

5. Mary Clay says:

January 6, 2016 at 3:36 pm

yum. this is going on my new year’s resolution plan for sure. thanks for sharing such a beautiful and comforting dish!

6. Juliet says:

January 6, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Hi! I don’t usually comment, but just wanted to let you know that I really love this post- the dish, the writing, the pictures, all of it looks wonderful! Thanks for the recipe- I’m definitely going to make it!

January 8, 2016 at 8:58 am

oh, yes, back-to-basics meals are so crucial after the holidays! this sounds like the perfect humble, yet soothing meal to get you back in working order 😉 hope you two are having a lovely start to 2016, and that this year brings you nothing but love, happiness, and light! xo’s

February 7, 2016 at 4:59 pm

It’s getting downright unpleasant in Boston now, so the thought of eating this next week (a particularly blustery and unpleasant weather forecast was made for it) is very soothing. Love how the egg yolk looks in the bowl- it screams comfort and warmth