November 4, 2015 at 7:10 am

These are absolute lovliness and I am totally with you on the date bandwagon. They are like God’s gift to humanity because, like you said, they’re like candy but we can still all consider them healthy. These maple tarts sound divine and what a perfect addition these would be to the Thanksgiving dessert selection. p.s. B2 cracks me upevery time you mention him!

November 10, 2015 at 11:17 am

YES!! And then I eat about ten at a time … and just tell myself “it’s fruit.” Thanks so much for the kind words, Tori :) and for your PS, which B2 totally loved. Haha!

• claire says:

November 5, 2015 at 9:10 am

Hi Sophie! (from iDreamInCustard 😁) Have you tried an Ecclefechan tart? They’re very similar to a butter tart; kinda the Scottish equivalent. I’ve had and made both -butter tarts tend to be a touch more gooey and less dried fruit inside. Both rather sweet but very damn good! As a nut lover, I’d be tempted to try using a nutty pastry shell on these, though too. The dates and maple here? INSPIRED. 😍

• claire says:

November 10, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Wonderful! Even better if your recipes were all fully in grams so I could try to give them a go more easily and reliably. Although I do think this date&maple take is a close approximation of what I’ve had. Did you find out how Ecclefechan and butter tarts differ? I may have to go ask google…

November 17, 2015 at 11:34 am

Hi Claire, thank you so much for letting me know! I’ve now updated the recipe to grams where I could and where it is likely to be important — I will definitely pay more attention to providing gram measurements in the future, as well. That is super valuable feedback — thanks so much again :)

PS Nope, I’m not really sure how they differ, other than the extras in the filling! I’d love to hear what you find!

November 4, 2015 at 8:05 am

Well better late than never, right? My mother always had them at home, but I always tought them to be too dry and was not a big fan. But then I tried fresh ones and I fell in love. These pies look delicious, but since I am in love with nuts, I will add a sprinkle of chopped nuts on top.

November 10, 2015 at 11:22 am

I feel like that has to have been what happened to me! I can’t remember having them that much before, but the first time I tried a really fresh, soft and sweet one, it was like it was familiar, and yet so much better. And ooh yes, nuts!! That would be so good. Don’t be like me and irrationally avoid them. :)

November 10, 2015 at 11:24 am

Phew, I’m so glad to hear that from a real Canadian!! I felt a little sacrilegious borrowing this perfect dessert from you guys. 😉 Thanks so much for the sweet words, Katrina!

November 4, 2015 at 9:17 am

Oh my this looks so good! I’ve done a sour cream crust before (I pretty much stick to the butter + cold water one), but this crust looks incredible – I’ll have to give it a try. I can just imagine the richness and flavor it can add to crust. I’m so obsessed with VT Creamery’s creme fraiche – I pretty much keep a constant stock of it now in my fridge :). PS – this looks so dreamy and magical.

November 4, 2015 at 10:32 am

Oh man! These remind me of a Filipino dessert that I always eat a boatload of whenever I’m in the Philippines. They’re basically the same thing, but with a shortcrust tart shell and date and brown sugar filling, topped with nuts. So good. It never occurred to me that I could make something like them at home until I saw your post, lol! Funny how that sometimes happens.

November 4, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Totally obsessed. I’ve never had a butter tart yet?! That needs to change. Yours look so beautiful – love the neutrals in each shot!!!
    Also, B2’s response to your date love – sounds almost exactly like something Andrew would say, which made me smile.

November 4, 2015 at 7:10 pm

YES I am newly obsessed with dates too!! It wasn’t until I had some really soft, sticky medjool dates that I was like WOAH these are so molasses-y and amazing. I’m loving chopping them up and stirring them into oatmeal with peanut butter at the moment :))) Maple syrup, dates and pecans sounds like a DREAM combo – definitely something I’m gonna have to make.

November 4, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Cynthia, these look SO good! I have never cooked or baked with dates much either but I see so many recipes (now including this one) that look so good. I definitely will have to try these! And as always, your photos are so spot on :)

November 6, 2015 at 8:23 am

oh my gosh, creme fraiche was such a favorite growing up! my mom would mash it into our baked potatoes and it was all sorts of creamy heaven! i can just imagine how lovely it is folded into pie crust though – yum! and yay to dates! i’m still coming around to them in their whole form, but you’re giving me major inspiration! xo’s and happy friday! <3

November 8, 2015 at 1:02 am

I’m impressed by how layered the crust looks–I’ve had a hard time achieving that on small tarts for some reason?? I also really want to try creme fraiche, not sure why I haven’t looked for it yet..tsk tsk. And also, dates are the best healthy snacks! And so good when you put coconut butter inside, freeze for 5 minutes and chomp away. So amazing! Kept me energetic and satisfied leading up to my wedding. 😛

November 9, 2015 at 8:31 am

I’m a hardened date addict, they’re sooo good! But they have to be those soft, squooshy medjool ones, not the dried up ones you get at your Granny’s house that have been lurking in a box since last Christmas, ha! Love the look of these buttery little tarts :-)

November 13, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Just picked up Medjool dates at Costco yesterday. They are from CA and very affordable. Two of them are my “dessert” when I want a little something sweet after a meal. Definitely going to try this recipe. First as written, and then maybe substituting my homemade apple cider syrup, made from our fall community apple pressing party. Can’t image only one batch will do – especially as they are good frozen. Thanks for the post!

12. Chrissy says:

November 15, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Made this yesterday for an afternoon tea get together, they were absolutely outstanding. I used a gluten free pie crust recipe but followed your directions for assembly and baking and they were so lovely. Also, I used 1/2 cup of chopped dates and 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts. Thank you so much for a wonderful recipe, I’ll certainly be making it again!