charred corn with miso butter, bacon & garlic scapes

charred corn with miso butter, bacon, & garlic scapes | two red bowls

charred corn with miso butter, bacon, & garlic scapes | two red bowls

Last Saturday, when we were still puttering around in the throes of jet lag, a good friend dropped by to help ease us back into the real world.  She belongs to that lucky (for us) class of friends where the apartment is never too messy to have them pop in and where a squishy couch and some food is all you need for “entertainment,” which was perfect, because that’s pretty much what we had — half-unpacked duffels in the corner and all.

So we spent a sunny morning drowsily debriefing the wedding over matcha Oreos and peach cobbler, and when I finally got off my butt and into the kitchen, we had this charred corn for lunch.  It’s heavily inspired by David Chang’s roasted sweet summer corn (because there’s no way I could have dreamed up something as genius and heavenly as miso butter on my own!) but I felt like something a tad crunchier, so the corn got a quick broil before it went in the pan, and on a whim I threw in garlic scapes instead of onions for a little more texture and liveliness. The charring adds a smoky note that I’m obsessed with, especially in tandem with the same from crisped-up bacon and the contrasting bite from snappy scapes.  And then there’s the miso butter — salty, savory decadence with a hint of sweetness and the slightest fermented pucker, it’s nutty and earthy yet creamy and smooth, and just plain amazing.  The corn doesn’t need any more seasoning than that.

The first time I tried this out we devoured it plain, but this past weekend we threw it over a few sunny-side up eggs, melted mozzarella and chewy homemade tortillas, and it was beyond words.  We’re having a little DIY taco party this Sunday (wee!) and I’m thinking this might have to make yet another appearance.  It’s just too good.

Happy Wednesday, friends!

charred corn with miso butter, bacon, & garlic scapes | two red bowls

charred corn with miso butter, bacon, & garlic scapes | two red bowls

charred corn with miso butter, bacon, & garlic scapes | two red bowls

charred corn with miso butter, bacon, & garlic scapes | two red bowls

charred corn with miso butter, bacon, & garlic scapes | two red bowls

charred corn with miso butter, bacon, & garlic scapes | two red bowls

Charred corn with miso butter, bacon & garlic scapes.

Adapted from Momofuku, by David Chang. The first time I tested this recipe was back when scapes were curling energetically out of every other basket at the farmer's markets, but I was pumped to find a few left this past weekend, so I hope that means they're still around for you as well. In the off season, garlic (not regular) chives, green garlic, or chive bulbs would all work well, and in a pinch, you can use green onions.

Ingredients

• 2 tbsp white miso paste (or 1 tbsp red miso)
  • 2 tbsp softened unsalted butter
  • 4 cups corn kernels (about 4-5 ears)
  • 1 cup (about 6) sliced garlic scapes* (see above for substitutions)
  • 4-6 slices (about 4-5 oz) bacon, depending on your preference

Instructions

1. In a small bowl, whisk the miso paste into the butter until smooth and incorporated. It helps if the butter is softened and at room temperature, but will take a little bit of work before it's smooth. Set aside.
  2. Turn your oven to broil and place your oven rack about 4" to 6" from your heating element, if needed.
  3. Line a sheet pan with foil and lightly butter or oil it. Shuck the corn, remove the silks, and cut the kernels from the cob onto the pan. Add the scapes and spread the mixture in an even layer across the pan.
  4. Broil the corn and scapes until there is visible charring in spots. This took me about 6-8 minutes in my oven, but can take as little as 3-5 minutes depending on the oven. If you see or hear a few kernels jump around in the pan, the corn is done. Remove from oven and set aside. (Alternatively, grill them!)
  5. Next, dice the bacon. Fry in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat until crisp and the fat is rendered. Drain all but one tablespoon of the bacon fat. Turn the heat to its lowest setting, then add the corn and scapes to the pan and stir just until well-coated in bacon fat. Finally, add in the miso butter and cook until melted and evenly distributed. Enjoy on its own, as a side, or (our favorite) on tortillas with a fried egg and cheese.

Notes

For a creamier and softer corn, you can add about 1/2 cup of the broth of your choice, as per the original recipe, and cook until the broth no longer pools in the bottom of the pan.

Also, as an alternative to toasting your face in front of a hot oven in July, you can grill your corn on the cob (a la Joy the Baker) and slice the kernels off after grilling!

July 22, 2015 at 7:51 am

We have been obsessing over garlic scapes lately, and they’ve found they’re way into everything from eggs to smoothies. This combination of garlic scapes, corn and miso sounds like the perfect way to honour them even further. And welcome back!

July 23, 2015 at 8:30 am

Garlic scape smoothies??? I’m so intrigued! I wish these babes would stay here year-round. Thank you so much, Ksenia!

July 22, 2015 at 10:56 am

Oh my god, Cynthia, I just drooled on myself a little bit here. What an amazing recipe!

And yes, don’t you love friends who you know so well that it doesn’t matter if the apartment is a hot mess because all you want to do is eat and gossip? It’s the best.

July 22, 2015 at 11:07 am

Oh MAN this is everything that I want to eat right now. (FACT: I was raised in a corn-obsessed family. I’m currently house-sitting for my folks in NY, and I noticed that on my dad’s weather charts [he keeps daily records of the weather….total data hoarder] he had noted “FIRST CORN” on the day they presumably had their first corn of the season….hilarious.) I have like 60% of the things I need to make this, and I will happily drive 30 minutes to the nearest grocery store to get the remaining 40%.

Also, I have been mia forever so a much overdue Congratulations!!!! and welcome home!! xoxoxo 🙂

July 29, 2015 at 11:36 am

Oh my gosh Carey this story made my day. First corn should totally be a personal holiday!!!! Your dad is the best.

Um and YES omg HI!!!!! I’ve seriously been meaning to write you an email for the last million years (and catch up on your latest posts, omg that dutch baby)!! It will happen soon, I swear it. Like right now. A million x’s and o’s!!!

July 22, 2015 at 11:37 am

Every single part of this recipe sound amazing, Cynthia! You literally put four of my favorite things in one dish, droool. Hope you’re enjoying life back in the city and maybe we can run into each other on the train again 😀

July 29, 2015 at 11:42 am

High-five scape twin!!!!! Thanks so much, Summer 🙂 (PS YES I so hope that happens again!!!! if not we’ll just have to make it happen :D)

July 22, 2015 at 5:47 pm

oh my god what this looks amazing!!! ah i love the idea of miso butter on corn. can’t wait to try this out 🙂

also those friends are the best.

July 22, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Well, doesn’t this look great (as always)! Fun fact: in Italy, unless you live in Veneto or Tuscany, we don’t really eat corn…unless it’s in form of polenta. But I mean, *whole* corn. It’s just not really a thing, and I was never interested in it.
    Still, this all looks lovely! pointless as my comment may be, I just wanted to say yay for settling back in with a plate of ‘cozy’ stuff with friends ^___^

July 22, 2015 at 10:26 pm

David Chang is amazing and I’ve been looking into experimenting with both miso and tahini for less traditional purposes. Adding miso to buttered corn is simple yet brilliant. These are the kinds of little things that elevate the ordinary to extraordinary. I think it’s great that you guys have a close friend who doesn’t make you pretend to be spotless when we all know you have to throw all the mess into the closet….oh that’s just me…I hope you’re enjoying a little downtime. You’ll have long enough to get back into the routine. Great use of seasonal corn. xo

July 23, 2015 at 8:42 am

This sound insane. Every element of this is just too good from that gorgeous charring on the corn to the miso butter (miso butter!). Hurrah for summer eating!

July 23, 2015 at 11:28 am

David Chang is brilliant. As is this recipe. Can’t wait to get my hands on some corn at the farmers market and smother some tacos in it. Or, you know, maybe just shovel it into my face with a spoon.

July 23, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Isn’t that the best when you can just enjoy the simple times with friends? There’s no pressure, no expectations, just sharing and happiness. 🙂 🙂 🙂 And how could there not be happiness when there is gorgeous miso buttered corn with GARLIC SCAPES involved? Love it, Cynthia!

July 25, 2015 at 11:51 am

Wow, awesome, never thought that miso and butter could go well together. I happen to have a lot of corns left over, time to do this miso butter 😉

12. dhrubaam says:

July 26, 2015 at 9:14 pm

This is a very interesting recipe. Didn’t know miso and butter could marry. Oh, and lovely pictures. 🙂

July 26, 2015 at 10:26 pm

This looks incredible! First, your photos are gorgeous, and second, I’ll eat anything that involves scapes and charred corn. I’m inundated with scapes from my CSA, so I’m totally going to give this recipe a whirl as an easy weeknight dinner! Thanks for the inspiration <3

July 28, 2015 at 9:37 am

I’ve never cooked with scapes, but I’ve been eating corn just about every day since ears of it started appearing in the grocery stores. I’m definitely going to have to try out this gorgeous recipe 🙂