January 7, 2014 at 10:37 am

Okay, LOVE THIS. The styling, lighting, CHOCOLATE CHILI–all yes. So interesting–I’ve never tried adding actual melted chocolate to chili. I’ve made a few chilis with cocoa powder and I love the little dark boost it gives, but melted chocolate sounds sooo luxurious.

And glad you guys in NYC have been surviving okay! (lucky ducks.) It’s hit 20 degrees in Houston lately and OMG I don’t even know what to do. I’m walking around in my little “heavy” northern California jacket and regular work pants like an idiot. I don’t think I’ve ever been in such cold weather in my daily life so -60 does sound totally terrifying!!!

January 7, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Oh my goodness, cocoa powder? That sounds divine, and in some ways even better. I wonder if it gives a better mouth-feel to use that instead. I bet it’s a much more pure chocolate flavor, without the extra sugar. I’ll have to try that next time. Maybe a little bit of both. Genius, Erika! :)

Hahaha, yes, it was really weird yesterday when it was like 40 degrees. We’re now down to 13 or so, though, so the reprieve has ended. :( But AHH stay warm!!!! The weather’s been bearable because I have all my Boston stuff (can I just say that no one in real life looks as glamorous in winter gear as in the movies? I’m just a black down puffball from head to toe) but it SUCKS when you don’t have enough layers on. Hope you’re doing okay!

January 7, 2014 at 11:28 am

OMG – you know how much of a chili lover I am and I’m soo dying to try out new recipes! And this, my darling, is going on the menu soon! I’m really interested in seeing how the chocolate tastes in it…Sounds so perfect for a cold night in…especially for how cold it’s been around NYC these days…brrr! Stay warm, Cynthia!! Thanks for this awesome recipe! xo!

January 7, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Ahh, I hope you like it if you try it! I feel like I adjust the seasonings every time I make chili, so I’m wondering how others will like this if they try it. Cooking recipes are always a bit of a mystery compared to baking, since a lot of it is up to personal preference. But no matter what, this is definitely the perfect weather for chili. :) Hope you’re staying warm too dear!!!

January 9, 2014 at 11:02 am

(Ooh PS question for you, Hawaii friend! Do you like your chili with white rice, too? Bowl #2 insists on it and I’d never seen it eaten like that before he introduced the idea to me. And now I LOVE it. You guys know how to eat.)

January 7, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Thick, robust and cheesy as F is the *only* way to eat chili, in my opinion! It’s been so lackluster here in NYC on the whole Polar Vortex front, I agree, especially when I see everyone back in the Midwest buried under eighteen inches of snow. But today is windy and freezing cold, and this chili would be exactly what I’d like to warm my bones!

January 7, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Haha, yes!!! I like your style. ;) And yeah, weird, right? Today has definitely been more in line with what I’ve seen on the news — and extreme chili weather for sure. Hope you’re staying warm, Ruthy!

January 7, 2014 at 7:38 pm

This polar vortex – I can’t take it! And if we are this cold in NYC I can’t even imagine how our friends elsewhere feel! This chili looks like the perfect thing to eat tonight – warming, comforting, and delicious! How interesting that you used dark chocolate – I have never tried that but I bet it is great!

January 8, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Right? Just nuts. And yes!! I was pretty nervous about using it to be honest (Bowl #2 is generally a fan of more traditional renditions of foods) but we loved it. Barely discernible, actually. Hope you like it if you ever try it!

January 8, 2014 at 11:27 am

You must be psychic! I have been planning to make a chilli for the last week but haven’t been able to find the right-sounding recipe. I love the idea of adding melted chocolate to it and also the sweetness from the sugar. Delish. I’ll be giving this a try this weekend – thank you so much!

January 8, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Ooooh yay!!! I knew there had to be someone out there who shared my tastes in chili :) I hope you like it!

January 8, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Oh man, chili is my thiiiiiiing. I can eat it for days (and I have!) and not get tired of it. Such an amazing thing. And chunky chili! Don’t even get me started on how much I love chili! Also, these photos are so lovely.

January 8, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Hahah right?! Yuuum. Especially with a ton of cheese. Although I did once discover that it’s definitely possible to put too much cheese in, and that that is gross. It doesn’t sound possible. But it is. (It was sad.) Thank you Sara! <3

• says:

January 9, 2014 at 10:57 am

Too much cheese?! I…I have never witnessed such a thing. But I’m going to take your word for it and not be incredibly heavy handed (aka grating an entire block of cheese into my bowl unless I’m just eating cheese with chili as a garnish lmao).

January 9, 2014 at 10:59 am

I KNOW! It should be against the laws of nature! But it kind of made it chalky and pasty and.. weird. It may have been the chili itself. Let’s blame the chili.

January 8, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Hmmm…I love the idea of this chili considering the weather. It looks warm and comforting. Also, do you have a copy of The Flavor Bible? It’s a reference guide that lists every conceivable ingredient and their complementary flavors. In fact, chocolate pairs well with beef according to it. On a side note, try braising to keep warm. I love food simmering for hours when it’s cold because it keeps the home warm and smells good too!

January 8, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Such a good idea! I also like poaching pears in the fall when it’s cold outside because it keeps the place warmer AND it smells amazing. Mm, cozy winter foods. And that’s so interesting about the Flavor Bible! Thank you so much for letting me know, and for stopping by! :)

January 9, 2014 at 9:56 am

Cincinnati chili makes use of cocoa powder and they serve it with spaghetti, topped with raw onions and cheddar cheese. i personally find it delicious, my better half does not. i think the use of chocolate in savory dishes is really good, surprisingly so and i definitely enjoy it in chili.

i think ice cream year round is just fine, crank that heat up and snuggle up with a bowl. hopefully you’ll post about it soon.

January 9, 2014 at 11:00 am

That’s so interesting! I forgot to mention that I learned that Bowl #2 only likes his chili with about equal parts white rice with it — evidently it’s a Hawaii thing. (Then I tried it and LOVED it.) I’ve never had spaghetti with it … another new combo. I’m really enamored with this idea of cocoa powder though, I think I’ll try that next time instead.

Yes!!! Winter ice cream for all! I’m posting it next week :D

January 9, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Nice recipe. I’ve only made it with cocoa powder, or bitter chocolate. Chili and chocolate go well together. It’s a combination you see in southern Italy sometimes too. Ken

January 11, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Yes! I’m curious as to how unsweetened chocolate or cocoa powder would taste — it’s on my list to try next time I make this. Interesting about southern Italy — thanks for the tip! :)

January 10, 2014 at 4:25 am

Another fabulous post with gorgeous photos, Cynthia! This chili looks incredible – I totally agree with you on the flavour profile. I love really thick, hearty, and semi-sweet chilis too. I feel almost guilty being in such a warm place (Thailand is hot, baby) while 90% of North America is freezing its butt off. Then I get to go home to the west coast where our coldest days are like, 0 degrees C. Enough rubbing it in – I hope you’re staying inside where it’s warm and that everyone gets through snowpocalypse ok!

January 11, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Hahaha! Please — I expect you to have sweated extra in Thailand the last few weeks on my behalf! I’m surprised Vancouver doesn’t get too cold, though, that’s fantastic. Enjoy it for us over here :) Hope you had a fantastic trip, lady!!

January 14, 2014 at 11:36 am

Beautiful photos! I love adding a touch of chocolate to my chill, it really adds a nice depth of flavor. I haven’t tried dark chocolate though; next time I’ll give it a go.

January 15, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Doesn’t it? I was amazed. I really want to try cocoa powder like the above commenters suggest, too. Mmmm chili. Thank you for your comment, Kathleen! :)

January 15, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Oooh, interesting! I had to google mole! Sounds delicious, and like you said, not too different from this. Can’t wait to see your version if you make it :) Thanks, Mandy <3

January 15, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Perfect chili recipe and I don’t think it’s weird at all that you don’t like a lot of beans in your chili…I’m the same way. I”m going to try your recipe. And I did read the other comments about cocoa powder…mmm, sounds delicious!. There is a wonderful Mexican restaurant here that serves a knock out chicken mole…my son always calls it “chocolate chicken”. Love this concept of chocolate in a savory chili type sauce. I’m going to try your version here, for sure.

January 16, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Haha, yay!!! I just recently saw a slew of Texas chili recipes, which are so intriguing because (1) no beans AND (2) no tomatoes? Wow. But the no-beans thing makes me think Texas has got style. ;) And you’re the second person to bring up mole! I really need to try this dish! Chicken and chocolate? Crazy cool. Thank you so much for stopping by :)

January 20, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Aww, thank you so much for the kind words! :) It’s always a learning process, so I appreciate that so much.

January 25, 2014 at 8:23 am

Oh my gosh! I just saw this. We posted chocolate chili within days of each other. That’s awesome! And, uh, I’m jealous of those photos up there.