October 9, 2013 at 8:55 am

I’ve never had pork bulgogi but I’ve heard how insanely delicious it is from so many people that I think it’s my time to try it! And hopefully NYC stores will do me a solid and label their pork “bulgogi cut” too, to help me out a bit :)
    Your hometown airport sounds so much like mine! It’s so tiny that it costs an arm and a leg to fly out of, it drives me crazy.

• says:

October 9, 2013 at 9:25 am

Ooh, you’re in New York too! If you have a car, I bet you could find some fantastic Korean markets in Queens — if you’re subway-bound like me, then I can tell you that the H-Mart on 32nd in K-Town has some stuff, but likely only label it “pork shoulder” or “thin sliced pork shoulder,” and it will be in a cooler in the way back with a bunch of frozen meat. It’s not amazing, but it works just fine. (And way better than if I tried to slice it myself.) They have pork belly too, and of course all the fixings you need, like the pepper paste and pepper powder, etc. Hope you like this if you get to try it! Thanks so much for commenting, Ruthy (and I love your blog, by the way! I’ve been on it before but I can’t remember when now… hopefully I commented then too).

October 9, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I love pork bulgogi, and still remember the really good version we had in our “little Korea” last year. Your idea for making ahead is great and will make it easier for weeknight meals. Thanks!

October 11, 2013 at 11:10 pm

This looks so good! I am really into Asian food recently, but I still haven’t tried true Korean food. I really need to try it, and then try your recipe!

• says:

October 13, 2013 at 11:43 am

Oh my gosh, you’re in for such a treat! I really think that Korean food — other than kimchi, which is definitely hard to get used to for some — is one of the most accessible of all the Asian cuisines. Especially if you like spicy food, but even if not. But it’s also one of my favorite kinds of food, so I’m probably biased 😉 Hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to try it!

October 12, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Even though I love Korean food, I rarely ever eat it. This looks ah-may-zing – I need to try making it myself. I love your photos as always. I’m especially obsessed with the one showcasing your mise en place. I wish I were this organized when I cook!

• says:

October 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Hahaha Nancy, thank you so much, but if you could only see my kitchen normally, you’d take that wish right back!! Lol. This mise en place was definitely an unusual endeavor for me — I usually just measure and add. I read some interesting discussions about whether doing a mise is worth it after I did this one — omg, it took so long, and so many dishes to do afterward! — I have to agree with people who say that while it may be necessary for cooking where you’ll be adding things in a time sensitive manner (Chinese stirfries, for instance) or making sure you haven’t left out the baking soda in your cake, it’s usually just too time-consuming. Lord knows I won’t have time for this once I start work (a week from tomorrow!) But while I’m just being domestic these days, I figured it would be fun to do. Glad you liked it, it makes it worth it! :)

Anyway, thanks! I hope you get the chance to try this out — it’s so easy if you have the right ingredients (and you don’t bother to do a mise! ha)

5. Anonymous says:

February 3, 2014 at 3:54 pm

This recipe sounded great & I wanted to print. However, when I click print, within your post, it printed 15 flipping pages & in full color. What a waste!!!!!!!!

6. Michelle T says:

June 30, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Considering how much I have to travel to get good Korean and the expense when I get to the restaurant, I went about looking for something like what they Korean lady told was in the dish I was eating. This tastes spot on! I am so happy! I had this dish when I was stationed in Korea and have been looking for it since (that was 93-94). Thank you for posting. I made six recipes so that I don’t have to make it very often, but I have it on hand if I want it. I happen to have an international food store just up the street from me. Gochujang was hard to find in there though. Seems they are more bent toward Chinese, Japanese and Thai. I was pleased to see the cuts of meat I needed were there. I am using Boston Butt and pork belly in this recipe. I didn’t like all the fat that the pork belly had, but I didn’t want it entirely lean either. Again, thank you for posting.

• Michelle T says:

July 1, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I am cooking it right now and have determined that it works better with Boston butt sliced thin. The pork belly is too fatty. Just a note on my own post.

7. Michelle T says:

July 5, 2014 at 5:24 pm

You can also make this with chicken. I had some extra sauce and some chicken so I gave it a whirl. I like it. Not nearly as fatty.

8. Anonymous says:

March 3, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Great pix and dyno recipes. I’m always jonesing for bulgoki and don’t live close to any good Asian spots. Your xlnt fotos and clear text make it easy to taste the dish as I read the ingredients…and so multiply the anticipation of making this even more. Thanx.