• says:

September 22, 2013 at 11:30 am

Meg, your comments always make me smile!! 🙂 And yes! I was way overdue myself. I went through a phase a few years ago where I made enough matcha cupcakes to feed an army, and then somehow totally forgot about it (or got sick of it, probably). Thank you so much for your kind comment and I hope you like these if you ever make them!

• says:

September 23, 2013 at 11:25 am

Thank you so much!! It’s really so easy (and though I thought I was being clever when it first came to me, totally unoriginal, it looks like!) Like you said, it’s really just a shortbread at heart 🙂

September 23, 2013 at 6:46 am

Looks extraordinary! So greenish! A great deal for a party. Now I wonder where could I get matcha powder in my country… And matcha cupcakes, sounds so good (I can alredy imagine the view)!

• says:

September 23, 2013 at 11:26 am

Thank you so much! Oh my gosh yes, matcha cupcakes might be my favorite cupcakes of all time. I think I need to make those again 🙂 Hope you can find matcha powder somewhere (or maybe Amazon ships to you?) It is a hassle to find but so fun to bake with.

• says:

October 5, 2013 at 10:30 am

Hahaha! I made these for a party my parents threw and one auntie kept telling me, these are so green! They must be healthy! I didn’t have the heart to tell her otherwise. 🙂 But at least they are more wholesome than the storebought kind!

• says:

October 20, 2013 at 10:44 am

Allison, thank you so much! That means a lot coming from you! They’re a little fussier than I originally thought they’d be (the dough can be frustrating to roll!) but they were fun to make, so it was still worth it, I think. But making plain green ones sounds awfully appealing too 😉 Thanks so much for your comment!

• says:

October 27, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Oh my gosh, I promise you you can totally make this 🙂 I’m actually so not a baker either (learning slowly, but definitely at war with my oven more times than not) and this recipe is practically foolproof, especially if you want to skip the swirl and just do plain green.

And THANK YOU!! I’m so flattered! You just made my day 🙂

2. Carmen says:

December 6, 2013 at 2:07 pm

You made me wanted to try this even more. I’ve bought my matcha powder but never try to make an effort, I will start tonight. The green swirl look so cheerful…look yummy!

December 8, 2013 at 12:14 am

I am so excited to hear that, Carmen! Let me know how it goes if you try it! 🙂 I agree, I love how whimsical the swirls look. It made me feel like I was in a Dr. Seuss book. 🙂 Thank you so much for your kind comment!

• Carmen says:

December 11, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Mmmm…i loved it!! Gee…thank you for sharing this recipe. I baked two batches at once and my cookie monsters wiped everything in less than two days!!

• says:

December 12, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Awww, that makes me so, so happy to hear — you’ve made my day. Thank YOU for baking it and for letting me know that they turned out well. It’s the best part of blogging!

December 14, 2013 at 2:32 pm

love this. Such a creative idea and makes such beautiful cookies too! I’ve been wondering what to do with some matcha powder in my cupboards, so I’m happy you shared this! 🙂

December 15, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Aw, thanks, Christina! I do think matcha and shortbread go really well together — matcha has kind of a strange creaminess to it that really matches cookies. I love it in cupcakes, too!

September 9, 2014 at 9:06 am

I love how vibrant the green tea is in these cookies! I absolutely love green tea and use it in almost everything I bake 😡 I must bake this soon. On a side note, I really love your recipes and photography! Hope I can be like you one day (-:

September 20, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Hi! I’ve made these before and they are fantastic! A word of caution… the dough _after_ time in the fridge becomes rough and thick. Beforehand, the butter is kinda warm and the dough is soft but forms peaks. I forgot that today and wondered why everything was so soft and added some more flour 🙁 Now I have to see if the dough balls will be fine to roll out and bake after warming up a bit’

6. Sharon says:

December 21, 2015 at 6:31 am

I got my ingredients! Can you please clarify if your half stick of butter is equivalent to a half cup? I know that’s usually the case, but I’ve come across some brands of butter that have been packaged as quarter cup sticks. Thanks so much!

December 21, 2015 at 10:14 am

Hi Sharon, a half-stick here is 1/4 cup! I’m sorry for the confusion — I’ve edited it to be more precise. It should be 2 oz or about 56 g butter. I hope you enjoy them if you try them!

7. Isabella says:

January 8, 2016 at 2:03 am

Thank you for the recipe. I tried this the other day it is rather disappointing. Its texture is powdery instead of having the nice crunchy texture. I also tried a diff recipe the same day and found that it was also powdery and dry in mouth. So, the very next day I tried the 3rd recipe I got from the internet and it was delicious. I believe because it uses white sugar instead of powdered sugar. I guess it is the powdered sugar makes the texture too dry. The white sugar gives the nice crunchy texture after it got caramelized 🙂