1. meg says:

September 16, 2013 at 11:08 am

Oh, woah! Maybe it’s because I’m part Chinese, but this recipe is making me really excited! I may have ti swing by the Asian grocery store today, I’ve never had those tiny sardines before.

• says:

September 16, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Yay! I hope you get the chance to try it (and like it!) I was so surprised by how much I loved this — plus, one of the blog posts I linked to above writes about how much calcium and DHA the anchovies have, in addition to the nuts, which are already pretty healthy. It’s fried and sugary, but could be worse! :) I’m also intrigued by how those versions also add garlic and sake/mirin — seems like that would add great depth to the dish. Anyway, I hope you enjoy if you try it! :)

September 16, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I was kind of dubious, but the more closely I looked, the more intrigued I became. I really enjoy Korean food, but I’ve never encountered this kind of honey-nuts-fishy/salty combo before. I’ve got a ton of dried shrimp hanging around–I may have to used them first. Anyway, great post. Ken

• says:

September 16, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Haha, my reaction was the same as yours when I first saw it! (Well, since she is my boyfriend’s mother, I scarf down everything she puts in front of me anyway.) I’d never encountered a combination like this before either. It’s interesting — I love Korean food too, but I feel like there are a ton of dishes, especially these side dishes, that I would have never tried or heard of if it weren’t for living with a Korean mom for awhile. It’s been super fun to learn all these new recipes that I’ll be able to take back with me. Also, I love dried shrimp in cooking, too! :) Thanks as always for your thoughtful comments!

October 5, 2013 at 12:57 am

This sounds good to me. I am traveling in Taiwan right now and the breakfast buffet at my hotel features a sweet dried anchovy, chili pepper, peanut thing that I have been enjoying with my scrambled eggs.

• says:

October 5, 2013 at 10:26 am

Oooh, no way!! How interesting — I never knew Taiwanese or Chinese cuisine had anything similar. It sounds amazing, yum. And I LOVED Taiwan when I was there for a weekend. Hope you’re having a fantastic time. Thanks for commenting and safe travels!

November 15, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Hahaha YAY! You’ve made my day, especially since you’ve just liked what are definitely some of the weirder recipes on my blog. I feel like I’ve found a kindred blogging spirit :) Thank you so much!

• says:

November 16, 2013 at 11:40 am

Yay for bizarre foods and salty, processed, dried & canned stuff! :) Looking forward to being bowled (heh!) over by more of your recipes to come. And thanks for checking out The Pig & Quill!