September 6, 2013 at 10:16 am

STOP omg I’m drooling. Japchae is one of my faaavorite things in the entire world and it makes me think of home so, so badly. And this looks totally legit — I’m going to make this for my mom and huff at her for never wanting to teach me, despite my begging.

September 7, 2013 at 11:38 am

It’s awesome that you tackled this dish – that looks amazing! And I’ve always wanted to make bulgogi at home so thanks for the recipe and all of the tips. I’m dying for a bowl of this now and it’s only 8:30 a.m.!

• says:

September 7, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Dude, japchae for breakfast? That’s something I could get behind. Thank you so much for the kind words! I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. Let me know if you try out the beef bulgogi, too!

September 7, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Japchae is my favorite Korean ban chan! I crave it like all of the time! Hard to find good ones though. Ahh, send me some!

Also, I’m rather confused how to pronounce japchae (always embarrassing myself whenever dining at those Korean places with my poor pronunciation!)

• says:

September 7, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Haha we had so much! Wish you could have had some too! And I agree it’s hard to find the perfect version. Ours needed tweaking, too.

Oh, I’m SO bad at Korean pronunciation too! I call Bowl #2’s mom “umma” (mom in Korean) and I still am never sure if I get even that simple word right. Oh well, we’ll keep trying :)

4. Anonymous says:

November 11, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I ate this in a Korean restaurant in Istanbul this summer. Korean food in Istanbul? Yes, and it was sooooo delicious. I’ll definitley be trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing it!!!

• says:

November 12, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Haha, I love it! It’s funny, I had excellent Korean food in Hungary once too! And Indian in Paris… Trying those different combinations can be so fun. Hope that you like this if you do try it at home! :)

November 3, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Thanks so much for this awesome recipe! I’ve finally tackled it! And love how it was easy for me and my bf to eat with chopsticks (not our tradition growing up…but I so prefer it!).

I just had difficulty with the bulgogi (not my 1st time making it…but this time it was with a different pan) and I’m wondering if there is a certain type of pan to use so that the bulgogi comes out a little burnt/crispy…Mine came out on the soggy side although I let is sizzle for a while…I have really cheap-quality pans! Maybe I should have drained the liquid? I also wasn’t sure how much soy sauce (etc.) to use throughout…I think this is one of those recipes that one has to try a few times (& perhaps find someone to help!)! Korean food seems rather simple to me (as I make food from around the world on a regular basis) – but every time I cook it I realize I need to tweak the amounts of things and get the right kind of meat!

Since I’m in France, I used a mix of “entrecote” and “faux filet”, although never confident which to use for bulgogi meat (cannot buy bulgogi prepared meat where I live in France nor have someone cut it that thin). I must invest in a good knife.

Anyway…rambling…It is so refreshing to use your recipes — I just love everything about them (the outline, the pics, the personal commentary) — thanks!!

6. Anonymous says:

May 31, 2016 at 5:48 pm

First time with your blog. Love Korean food, have a Korean market here in Portland ME. Beautiful photography and writing style. Found you Googling BG recipes to use past due kimchi.