June 9, 2014 at 7:57 pm

cynthia!!! i am so stoked to have found your hawaii series!! I am MAD about hawaiian/asian food, too – my plan is to make spam musubi for my dad for father’s day! mmmm love this butter mochi and i want to TRY it! xoxo

2. Vina says:

July 30, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Tried this and it turned out great! Made them in mini-muffin pans and had enough crispy edges per bite

August 1, 2014 at 9:53 am

Hi Vina! Most brands of coconut milk I’ve come across sell 13.6 ounce cans, which was why I used about 3 ounces in the quartered recipe (1/4 cup is 2 ounces and 2 tbsp is 1 ounce). It’s technically a little less than a quarter of a can, but I didn’t find that it made too much of a difference for me. Hope that helps!

Also, I just saw your comment above — I’M SO GLAD that it worked out well for you!! That makes my day! Making them in mini muffin pans is genius. Crispy edges galore :)

3. Sandra Akina says:

September 11, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Aloha kaka I aka!!
    We always called this Hanabuttah mochi because before it’s cooked it looks like hupe (runny snot) hahaha!!

December 5, 2014 at 9:03 am

Hi Jeanette! You may want to look for “sweet rice flour” or “glutinous rice flour” — I know that the H-Mart on 32nd Street carries sacks of sweet rice flour, and I believe Hong Kong Supermarket in Chinatown does as well. Also, Bob’s Red Mill makes smaller bags of sweet rice flour, though I think that’s a bit pricier, and you might be able to find that in a Key Foods supermarket. Hope that helps!

4. m says:

May 22, 2015 at 9:35 am

Ooh mochi. How can I adapt your mochi recipe to make “Bubbies” mochi ice cream? (Another sensation from Hawaii!)

May 22, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Hi m!!! For Bubbies-style mochi ice cream, I think you would actually want to go with this mochi recipe: http://tworedbowls.com/2014/02/03/red-bean-mochi/ and instead of the red bean paste in that recipe, use balls of ice cream! That mochi recipe is more pliable and stretchy so you can fold it around ice cream. Let me know how it goes if you try it!!

January 26, 2016 at 12:49 am

I’m going to try making these for Chinese/Lunar New Year. I love butter mochi, so exciting. Has anyone tried this recipe using skim milk or almond milk?

April 3, 2016 at 9:22 pm

I made the full recipe two days ago. I got distracted and left out the butter. I did put in 5 eggs, 1 can of high-quality coconut milk (no additives) and 2 cups of 2% milk. It tasted like it is supposed to taste, and some of my friends liked it better with the much lower fat content.

Omitting the butter may be why my edges did not stay crisp.

7. Dave says:

May 16, 2016 at 11:08 pm

I think you have an error in your recipe. A 16oz box of mochi flour is about 4 cups by volume. I think you mixed up weight ounces and fluid ounces. Having made a few recipes I’m sure you meant 16oz not 16floz.

May 16, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for catching that! You are so right, that was a typo. In my experience mochiko flour is a bit heavier than all-purpose and comes out to about 2 3/4 cups or thereabouts — which is what I meant to type. Thanks again for the heads-up!

8. Christine says:

November 2, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Thanks for this recipe! Because we have so many different sizes of butter in the store, how much exactly is one stick of butter in this recipe — 250g?